1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Do you think the lack of frame mounting will cause them to have issues? I'm just not sure if what I do on the trails may cause an issue with them.

·
Administrator
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think the lack of frame mounting will cause them to have issues? I'm just not sure if what I do on the trails may cause an issue with them.
Fair question... certainly things mounted to the frame can be good. On most, not all of those, there is some sort of bar that then extends back to the rocker. To me that bar can then get hung up on stuff. So it is a trade off between the two styles, each with plus and minus perhaps.

While I can't say the overland is stronger or better than that frame mounted design, I can say it is a more flat/smooth underside layout with nothing extending to the frame. For what the design is and from what I have gone over with it, I am happy.

However at the end of the day if you feel you want something that is attached to the frame, then get that.

·
Super Moderator
22,550 Posts
Buddy had them on his 2016 jkur with a MC 3.5 game changer and we were in Moab and he came down hard and fubared a couple of the side bolts. it was strange they were in the up position and never mangled the side step just sheared a couple of bolts. It was weird and we could not figure out exactly how it could happen. He could hear a constant rattle after that and further investigation found the sheared bolts and of course the nutserts made removing them a little bit of a pain.

·
Administrator
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Buddy had them on his 2016 jkur with a MC 3.5 game changer and we were in Moab and he came down hard and fubared a couple of the side bolts. it was strange they were in the up position and never mangled the side step just sheared a couple of bolts. It was weird and we could not figure out exactly how it could happen. He could hear a constant rattle after that and further investigation found the sheared bolts and of course the nutserts made removing them a little bit of a pain.
That must have been one heck of a hit to sheer them, any damage to the jeep body itself?

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
After just returning from Moab, I can easily see a hit like that happening.

·
Super Moderator
22,550 Posts
That must have been one heck of a hit to sheer them, any damage to the jeep body itself?
No damage to Jeep, it was strange.

·
Administrator
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Administrator
12,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So small update.. The spray paint I used didn't hold up all that well. Re painted them with spray can truck bed liner and that has been a far better coating choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts