Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 2 door JK with just over 3k miles on it, and I just got new wheels and tires put on it a week ago. I've noticed a weird rubbing noise happening, but it's brief. it's when I'm stopping, anywhere between 10mph-0mph, and it only lasts for what seems to be about 2 tire rotations. My tires are 33x12.5xR17 and I have 17x9 Pro Comp Series 69 wheels on. Any help would be appreciated, I'd like to nip the problem in the bud. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,456 Posts
What is the backspacing of the new wheels? The stock tire is 10" wide and the stock rim is 6.25" backspaced. With the addition of 2.5" you will need to move the tire out 1.25" to put the inside of the tire at the same plane as the stock 10" tire. 6.25-1.25 gives a minimal of a 5" backspacing.

Also the Wrangler rims are hubcentric, which means that the weight is on the hun vs just on the lugs.

And finally, check to see if the installer removed the spring washers on the lugs, some rims have a recess for them and some don't. The spring washers are silver washers with lil spring arms that grab onto the lug threads. They are used in production to keep parts from falling off.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the backspacing of the new wheels? The stock tire is 10" wide and the stock rim is 6.25" backspaced. With the addition of 2.5" you will need to move the tire out 1.25" to put the inside of the tire at the same plane as the stock 10" tire. 6.25-1.25 gives a minimal of a 5" backspacing.

Also the Wrangler rims are hubcentric, which means that the weight is on the hun vs just on the lugs.

And finally, check to see if the installer removed the spring washers on the lugs, some rims have a recess for them and some don't. The spring washers are silver washers with lil spring arms that grab onto the lug threads. They are used in production to keep parts from falling off.

backspacing is 4.75".

·
Registered
43 Posts
Check everything they mentioned above. Consider also that the rubbing may still occur at higher speeds intermittently, but due to road noise and tire speed, you aren't noticing. I'd review any and all potential rubbing points for a jk without a lift on 33s. The changed backspacing helps a lot but check liners and the whole wheel well. Have another person cycle steering lock to lock, then at different wheel positions flex front and rear by pushing down and pulling up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Once that's ruled out check inner rim area for rubbing and any loose material or components, including wheel weights. Definitely verify factory lug washers are gone

1 - 5 of 5 Posts