Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 2015 JKUR regeared a few weeks ago by a guy I like and trust and who does this thing day in and day out. I had Yukon 4.88s put in. He told me to change the oil after 500 miles. No problem. I was out of town for a week (not in the Jeep) and when I came back, I got to it. It had actually been about 600 miles. Anyways, front diff was fine. The rear diff though, had a few metal shavings. I have the ARB diff covers so I have the factory magnet on the housing, the drain magnet on the ARB cover and the dip stick magnet on the ARB cover. Each had some metal shavings on them. Not a lot, but definitely enough that it concerned me. I sent the photos to the guy that did the work and he said that it was definitely not normal and that I needed to bring the Jeep in so he could investigate. I brought it in this morning and he got right to it. He contacted me later tonight and told me that he triple checked everything and that everything was precise and exactly where it should be. I believe him. He also said he sent the photos to Yukon gears and they told him that this is normal sometimes to get these shavings after a new gear install. What does Wrangler Forum say? I'm supposed to head to Colorado weekend after next. Over 2,000 miles round trip in the Jeep. Not the time to be having axle issues! Thoughts?

Dip stick magnet

The biggest ones.

I didn't get any more shavings than what's in these photos.

·
Super Moderator
2,852 Posts
Seems odd to me. I would want to know where they came from. I've done a ton of gears and at 500 miles when I crack the covers the oil looks dirty but I've never run into any filings like that.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay. In that 600 miles, I drove mostly highway miles. 70 to 80 mph. Some city driving too. Everything sounds and feels just fine. No whining or anything like that. I replaced the oil with Royal Purple 75W-140 oil. The guy at the shop drained it all right back out. $40 worth of oil with 40 miles on it. He said he is going to replace it with all new 75W-140 Royal Purple for me and I can pick it up tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems odd to me. I would want to know where they came from. I've done a ton of gears and at 500 miles when I crack the covers the oil looks dirty but I've never run into any filings like that.
That's what my regear guy told me too. There are several dozen Jeeps in my Jeep club that have had their gears done by the same guy and they've had no issues. Even the guy that did it said it was unusual and he'd never had that happen. It doesn't seem like an excessive amount of shavings or anything. I just wasn't expecting to see any at all. The regear guy told me that everything is lining up perfectly and he can't see any issues. Maybe I was hard on it. I drive pretty fast. Maybe I should have taken it easier on the break in. I'll check it again before I head off to Colorado and hope for the best I guess! HA!

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
Break-in periods are often misconstrued to be mostly the motor. In the circles I used to travel in (racing) we always talked gear sets. Imperative to go easy until they "Marry".
IMO you went a little hard during your break-in based on the type of driving and speeds you mentioned.
Heat/Cool cycles and staying s l o w..... is the way to go.

That said - that's History. If your guy says everything specs out, in all liklihood everything is fine and perhaps the shavings were leading edge hangers that needed to come off anyway.
Gear sets are pretty robust to start with, if you lost some longevity it's like going from "never wears out" to "now I'll only get 500,000 miles" Not a big deal.
In the future if you ever get gears, Go slow, Go easy, No loads, towing or hard starts, get a dozen or so duty cycles in, change the gear oil out after 500 miles and that's about it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I agree at this point there is probably nothing for you to do and that your break in should have been more heat/cool down cycles. As a side note the drive train shop where I had my gears done told me no Royal Purple. They said they see a lot of damage when they pull off a diff cover and the owner has been running RP. They do lots of gear changes nationwide.

·
Premium Member
16,902 Posts
I don't remember what my "Gear GuRu" used to run in my Camaro.
I know He was a Big fan of Valvoline Dino Oil, I assume he may have been a Valvoline Gear Lube fan too.

His car was pushing more power than mine......

·
Registered
121 Posts
As a side note the drive train shop where I had my gears done told me no Royal Purple. They said they see a lot of damage when they pull off a diff cover and the owner has been running RP. They do lots of gear changes nationwide.
Royal Purple is kind of like K&N. Charge more, deliver less.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I saw way worse stuff come out of the Toyotas I spent 5 years working on. Never saw any gear sets replaced in that time. Run it, drop the fluid in 1500 miles, and see what you got. Think you'll be fine, if not the guy seems to be standing behind his work as I'm sure Yukon will as well.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah. He said that the pattern on the gears is perfect. I picked the Jeep up today. It's running good. I used Royal Purple because it was one of the oils approved by Chrysler. I guess my Chrysler warranty on the gears is probably no good now. HA! I'll check it again before I go to Colorado but I'm not going to worry about it too much.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would recheck in another 500 miles.... Those slivers are too big to be normal break in wear particles.... Gears always generate a lot of wear particles... but particles not that big....

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
Me being me, i'd recheck again later. All mine had after break in was metal powder on the plug. Just keep an eye on it.

BTW..I'll be up there two weeks after you, but elk hunting. Will be close to the good trails though. Maybe if we tag out early.....lol,

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah. I have the ARB diff covers that have that dip stick with the magnet on the end. I'll check in another week right before I go to Colorado. Unless there's big chunks in there, I'm headed to Ouray!

Reactions: SoDakSooner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts