Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I just put on MC last weekend. Still rides like a Jeep. Different than before? Yes. Better or worse? Nope.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I run metalcloak and I love the springs. It rides better than it did with spacers and Rubicon Springs for sure. Look through the first few pages on this forum and you will see there was a guy who recently put in metalcloak springs and did not like them, so he switched to RK springs and now he loves those. I think in that thread you will see that he talks about the differences between the two coils. I have no comment on RK because I have never run anything from them.

·
Commercial Member
2,223 Posts
They're both top quality, and I think you'd be hard-pressed to find that in dispute.

They are both best suited for heavier rigs (heavy bumpers/winch/big heavy spare, etc).

·
Super Moderator
14,528 Posts
The MC's dual rate is a different design than the RK's triple rate spring. The MC's basically only use the light weight rate to compensate for droop when your suspension flexes. So you are on the high rate all the time. RK's low rate is higher than MC's so it is actually being used during normal driving.

I run the RK's and have ridden in the MC's and believe the MC's are a firmer ride than the RK's based on experience and the information above.

Good luck!

·
Registered
492 Posts
I have the RK 3.5" springs and they are a lot better than the stock springs as for a comfort....still a Jeep but I can now drink coffee on the way to work.

·
Super Moderator
21,977 Posts
MC has cool gold colored parts :) both have a great following. I have the rk 2.5" and super happy with it. I did follow a guy on the Rubicon for a bit that had the MC 2.5" and it looked like it was doing well he said he liked it. Two of my other buddies on the rubicon were running aev lifts and they were happy too. I think all top tier lifts are going to be nice.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I've got the MC Game Changer,

Sold on it after some commentary from Pressurized and others.

It does perform better than the stock Rubi suspension. It does handle better in all aspects.

But yes, the ride is more stiff compared to stock - but nothing outrageous. (If I could quantify, perhaps 25% more stuff than the stock Rubi suspension).

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just put on MC last weekend. Still rides like a Jeep. Different than before? Yes. Better or worse? Nope.
Well said. I have the MC 3.5 rears w/correction wedges and 4" Evo plush up front.

Feel exactly the same. I really think half the changes people " feel " are in their heads honestly.

If you have 4" RC coils with one size fits all stiff ass shocks with no drop brackets then switch to MC or RK coils, get drop brackets to level the arms and some smoother OME ( or the like) shocks then byes that will be very noticeable.

But keeping all else the same and simply swapping coils I have never felt the slightest difference

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the 3.5 game changer ome on a 2 door rubi. It does handle curvy roads better, not as much lean. To be completely honest the only thing it is firmer than stock. Big dips or bumps it really absorbs those really well, but washboard roads are rougher than stock, but airing down tires helps with that.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Had both coils in my 16 JKUR in the past month MC 2.5" and RK 3.5"
Did not like the ride of the MC coils - on road not a big deal rode smooth , until say you hit a bridge connector then you felt the hit, on fire roads with rocks and roots - definitely felt rough and had to drive slower because I felt I was shaking my new Jeep apart.
Installed the RK 3.5 springs - Man what a difference - everything stayed the same but just switched coils - Ride on road about the same , hitting pavement imperfections much more forgiving and I can run the fire roads, bumpy dirt roads much faster.
Others may disagree but Ive tried RK 2.5 , MC 2.5 and now RK 3.5.
I will say I have MC full control arms and prefer the adjust-ability to them over the RK Arms.

See my post here #20 where I have a few pics and go into more into detail

Good luck with what ever you choose

·
GO STEELERS !
2,164 Posts
Had both coils in my 16 JKUR in the past month MC 2.5" and RK 3.5" Did not like the ride of the MC coils - on road not a big deal rode smooth , until say you hit a bridge connector then you felt the hit, on fire roads with rocks and roots - definitely felt rough and had to drive slower because I felt I was shaking my new Jeep apart. Installed the RK 3.5 springs - Man what a difference - everything stayed the same but just switched coils - Ride on road about the same , hitting pavement imperfections much more forgiving and I can run the fire roads, bumpy dirt roads much faster. Others may disagree but Ive tried RK 2.5 , MC 2.5 and now RK 3.5. I will say I have MC full control arms and prefer the adjust-ability to them over the RK Arms. See my post here #20 where I have a few pics and go into more into detail Good luck with what ever you choose
I am temped to do the same thing. I have a Metalcloak 3.5 and like it but I'm always open to something better. This is probably a stupid question but did you change out all 4 coils or just fronts ?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well said. I have the MC 3.5 rears w/correction wedges and 4" Evo plush up front.

Feel exactly the same. I really think half the changes people " feel " are in their heads honestly.

If you have 4" RC coils with one size fits all stiff ass shocks with no drop brackets then switch to MC or RK coils, get drop brackets to level the arms and some smoother OME ( or the like) shocks then byes that will be very noticeable.

But keeping all else the same and simply swapping coils I have never felt the slightest difference
u have mc wedges? did u also do retainers as well?

·
Super Moderator
21,977 Posts
Just shows how subjective ride is. After reading tons of positive reviews on the EVO coils i gave them a try. The coil was very stiff riding compared to RK's.
The MC coils is essentially a linear coil installed. Do they list the coil rates on the site ?
that is impossible..................you have been banned...........*(^*&*%&^_:censored::censored::censored: LOL.

·
Super Moderator
14,528 Posts
Coils with similar spring rates will likely feel pretty close to the same. However, there are some significant differences in spring rates out there and they are definitely different feeling.

·
Registered
81 Posts

u have mc wedges? did u also do retainers as well?
Synergy wedges. No retainers yet

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just shows how subjective ride is. After reading tons of positive reviews on the EVO coils i gave them a try. The coil was very stiff riding compared to RK's.

The MC coils is essentially a linear coil installed. Do they list the coil rates on the site ?

Mine is stiff too with the plush rides.

I would do RK triples but I'm worried about all the sagging I keep reading about

1 - 20 of 34 Posts