Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running the metalcloak 3.5in system on their tj with a ford 8.8. I'm thinking of upgrading from the Hodge podge system that I bought the jeep with. currently I have 35's and bushwacker flat fenders. wondering if the 3.5 lift will still clear the tires. I believe the sagging lift on it now was 4in. it may also have a small body lift.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
3.5" of suspension lift is not enough by itself for 35" tires. At a minimum you'd also want to verify that you have a 1" or 1.25" body lift. A 4" suspension lift plus a 1" body lift is pretty ideal for wheeling with 35" tires.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok, thanks for the info! like I said the old springs are sagging a bit, and when I wheel the jeep I haven't had any rubbing so I'm guessing I have some body lift. what's the best way to tell? pucks between the body and mounts?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,414 Posts
ok, thanks for the info! like I said the old springs are sagging a bit, and when I wheel the jeep I haven't had any rubbing so I'm guessing I have some body lift. what's the best way to tell? pucks between the body and mounts?
Exactly. The round spacers on top of the two OE "doughnut" shaped body mounts below are 1" body lift spacers from Performance Accessories.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have the metalcloak 3.5" lift and a 1 1/4" body lift.
I have no doult that it will clear 35" tires.
I'm only running 33" tires, but that is what I am set up for.
To run 35" tires I would need to re-gear again.
But I'm happy with the 33"' tires at this point.
They get me where I'm going.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have no doult that it will clear 35" tires.
I'm only running 33" tires, but that is what I am set up for.
To run 35" tires I would need to re-gear again.
But I'm happy with the 33"' tires at this point.
They get me where I'm going.
how do you like the metalcloak suspension? is the ride and flex as advertised for the tj? My friends jku rides pretty good of road but it's much longer, heavier, and on 37's. I think I'm going to pull the trigger in this kit either way but I'm curious

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I have no doult that it will clear 35" tires.....
How much suspension up travel are you talking about? When you say it will clear, do you mean that the spring, shock and tire combination will the appropriate amount of bump stop extension will provide at least the factory 4" of up travel?

Not saying your's wouldn't, only that this is what it means to clear a given tire size.

·
Registered
916 Posts
"jjvw"
How much suspension up travel are you talking about? When you say it will clear, do you mean that the spring, shock and tire combination will the appropriate amount of bump stop extension will provide at least the factory 4" of up travel?

Not saying your's wouldn't, only that this is what it means to clear a given tire size.

Anyone running the metalcloak 3.5in system on their tj with a ford 8.8. I'm thinking of upgrading from the Hodge podge system that I bought the jeep with. currently I have 35's and bushwacker flat fenders. wondering if the 3.5 lift will still clear the tires. I believe the sagging lift on it now was 4in. it may also have a small body lift.

First off my reply was in response to his statement, that he was already running 35" tires and a flat fender, sagging 4" lift. So basically he is just adding taller springs to a combo ''''already working"'"' " for him'" .

Therefore I duduced that the lift would work for him.
Now just like any advice given on a forum you take it at your own risk.

With regards to my setup. Yes it will correctly clear 35" tires. I don't run junk.
Currently I have just a little over 5" of lift. The metalcloak springs lifted my TJ a lot more the the 3.5" .
However to run 35" tires effectively I would need to modify the front and a small amount to the rear fenders, which I'm not willing to do at this time.
But I really don't want the rig any taller than it is now. It's hard enough to get into as it is.
I hope this sets your mind at ease.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts