Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i was wondering if anyone has tried this lift or heard anything about it. I know the metalcloak 2.5/3.5 lift has had some great reviews but i wanted more of a 4" lift and was wondering if anyone had anymore insight in it because the 4.5 high steer lift sounds pretty good and has a complete kit other than needing to upgrade the drive shafts.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
What size tires will you run - this determines lift height? Two door or four door?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was going to run 37s with stock fenders on a 2013 JK 4 door. Thats why i wanted a 4" but the 4.5" lift from metalcloak looked very good and thought someone might have insight into it or have ran that set up before

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
You will be better off with 3.5. The higher you go the worse driveline and steering angle concerns become. The lower you keep the center of gravity, the better. The only time I would consider a lift that high is with D60 axles and 40 inch tires and a whole buncha other upgrades. That much lift will make 37s look tiny.

I also would encourage you to read around A LOT and reconsider 35s instead if you do not have a Rubicon - I would not recommend 37s on a D30 front axle.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thank you i appreciate the help, yes i have a lot of learning to do. Just wanted to hear opinions about that kit.

·
Super Moderator
15,377 Posts
The 4.5" Metal cloak looks to be the same basic components of the 3.5" lift. They're a quality company and I'm sure that lift is just as good as their others. I have several friends running the 3.5" lift, some with 35s and some with 37s.

Going into broken record mode now:
I know you posted asking about the lift and this turned into a "why not to go 4.5" lift" thread. IMO 4.5" is the max I'd run on a 4 door with 37s, but you'd probably be better served with the 3.5" for 37s. Also make sure you're prepared for all of the other costs that are associated with that tire size.

I'd budget around 15 -20k over the next 2 years to build a dependable rig running 37s. Cost examples from my time running 37s on my 2014:
  • Lift
  • Tires
  • Wheels
  • C gussets
  • Truss
  • Rear axle shafts
  • Ball joints
  • tie rod
  • drag link
  • unit bearings
  • gearing
  • spare tire carrier
Other considerations:
  • IF you're wheeling stuff that you need 37s you'll also need armor, winch, bumpers, lockers, etc.
  • You're on a D30 front axle, IMO you need to replace that before you go any farther. While the Cs and Tubes are as strong as a D44, the size gears you need to run will be too weak.

You can save a lot of $$ by building a rig that runs a lighter 35" tire. That's what we chose on our 2016 build and it will do 95% of what our 2014 on 37s will do.

Good luck :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
first question I would as is what is your intended use? My buddy has a 3.5"GC on the way and we will get on this week hopefully. He wanted the 2.5" his intended use is to offroad and he is going to run 35" MC told him if he was going to stick with stock flares he needed 3.5" to offroad with 35" they told him if he decided to go 37" he would want to go with flat fenders with the 3.5" GC. If it is just looks you want and don't offroad etc then get the one that gives you the look you are after and do not worry about what the rest of us think. :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats a lot of great information. The only reason i was thinking about a 4.5" because my buddy owns a shop and he helped reinforce my Dana 30 with C gussets, truss and axles sleeves for 200$ Just the synergy parts. I was going to regear with yukon gear kit. The metalcloak kit comes with the hi-steer which comes with the reinforced tie rod. The only Thing would be the drag link. But i just wanted to hear opinions about it but i like their 3.5" lift as well. Its just the budget lift i have now definitely needs to be upgraded and wanted something a with more clearance. Its a rubicon express budget spacer lift with a body lift. It was from the previous owner and i brought it on easy to medium trails i could feel it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im doing it for both, i like the look and want to be able to offroad it. Always wanted a jeep to be able to drive it from spot to spot and offroad and then drive away. I use it as my daily drive but my commute to work is 2.5 miles so gearing it with 4.88 or 5.13 wouldnt be an issue. But the 3.5 MC lift looks great but i was curious about the 4.5" if i wanted to keep stock fenders because massachusetts is crazy about aftermarket fenders wen you go to inspect them.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well i was going to go with the 4" teraflex but really like the set up that metalcloak has with their control arms. And was just curious to see how much difference the .5" would be. Because a lot of people on this forum like the 4" teraflex kit but their kit that is around the same price doesnt have all the control arms and shocks and i have heard great things from the 3.5 Metalcloak kit. So thats why i was just wondering about the 4.5" kit to see if it would be that much different or just too much for a JKU.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can get the Yeti tie rod and flipped drag link. Whats great the Yeti DL does not require drilling the knuckle like all other DL's do. Simple bolt on you can do yourself in under a hour.
I have to look into that. I like the yeti products.

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts
Well i was going to go with the 4" teraflex but really like the set up that metalcloak has with their control arms. And was just curious to see how much difference the .5" would be. Because a lot of people on this forum like the 4" teraflex kit but their kit that is around the same price doesnt have all the control arms and shocks and i have heard great things from the 3.5 Metalcloak kit. So thats why i was just wondering about the 4.5" kit to see if it would be that much different or just too much for a JKU.
3.5 is perfect for a four door. When you get above that you would probably want to be looking into aftermarket axles that have more tolerance of the steeper driveline and steering angles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
3.5 is perfect for a four door. When you get above that you would probably want to be looking into aftermarket axles that have more tolerance of the steeper driveline and steering angles.
Well i am looking into aftermarket axles just not currently but my overall set up for the near future is to get either an aftermarket dana 44 up front and a 60 rear or have the 60s on front and rear. I want to make this a build project but in steps due to not being able to just take out a 50k loan just for aftermarket parts haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
But i think i might go with the 3.5" anyways just wanted to hear if anyone has run the 4.5" to hear wat they say.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Hahahahaha...That would be me!!

I'll probably go with the big MC Lift at some point, but you will get more than 4" with the MC 3 1/2" lift.

And you will be fine with 35"s if you have 4:10's.
I ran 4:10's with 37"s and did just fine when I ran with the Big Guys running 5:13's.
I have 1 tons now and I'm running 4:88's and 40"s.

The only time I would consider a lift that high is with D60 axles and 40 inch tires

·
Super Moderator
22,012 Posts
Just installed the front half 3.5 gc last night on a buddies new hour sure nice working on a new rig. Nice stuff for sure. Why they don't machine flats on the control arms and track bars woukd make it so much easier. One thing MC I was not impressed with was the rear hinge. I have installed several TeraFlex hinges and in my opinion better quality.

·
Vendor
5,579 Posts
Well i am looking into aftermarket axles just not currently but my overall set up for the near future is to get either an aftermarket dana 44 up front and a 60 rear or have the 60s on front and rear. I want to make this a build project but in steps due to not being able to just take out a 50k loan just for aftermarket parts haha
Got a group buy going for a DV8 D44 front JK housing. $1600.00 shipped. Check it out here. This would be perfect for your build or future upgrade. Anyone else running 3"+ lift height as well.

As for the rest, I agree with the lower center of gravity (3.5" lift) for the tire size you want to run. Remember, you also have the body lift in the mix. Unless you plan on taking that out when you do the lift, you will not even come close to needing 4.5" of lift.

You mentioned the MA laws on fenders when getting inspected. How are they with tire sticking out the fender. To run a 12.50 tire you will need at least a 4.75" or less BS. This will most likely push you out beyond the MA comfortability for tire beyond the factory fendor. Just a thought.

Good luck on your quest.

Allen

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hahahahaha...That would be me!!

I'll probably go with the big MC Lift at some point, but you will get more than 4" with the MC 3 1/2" lift.

And you will be fine with 35"s if you have 4:10's.
I ran 4:10's with 37"s and did just fine when I ran with the Big Guys running 5:13's.
I have 1 tons now and I'm running 4:88's and 40"s.

The only time I would consider a lift that high is with D60 axles and 40 inch tires
Just installed the front half 3.5 gc last night on a buddies new hour sure nice working on a new rig. Nice stuff for sure. Why they don't machine flats on the control arms and track bars woukd make it so much easier. One thing MC I was not impressed with was the rear hinge. I have installed several TeraFlex hinges and in my opinion better quality.
Got a group buy going for a DV8 D44 front JK housing. $1600.00 shipped. Check it out here. This would be perfect for your build or future upgrade. Anyone else running 3"+ lift height as well.

As for the rest, I agree with the lower center of gravity (3.5" lift) for the tire size you want to run. Remember, you also have the body lift in the mix. Unless you plan on taking that out when you do the lift, you will not even come close to needing 4.5" of lift.

You mentioned the MA laws on fenders when getting inspected. How are they with tire sticking out the fender. To run a 12.50 tire you will need at least a 4.75" or less BS. This will most likely push you out beyond the MA comfortability for tire beyond the factory fendor. Just a thought.

Good luck on your quest.

Allen

Thanks guys! Yah i decided to go with the 3.5" and slowly build. I will probably end up making a thread in the build section to show the progress for the before and after! Thanks for the info guys!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts