Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of going with Rancho RS9000XL shocks when the ARB shocks that came with my Metalcloak lift either wear out or "wear out" if you get my meaning. Not sure how long they actually typically last as I usually trade vehicles long before stuff like this wears out.

I was thinking of going with the Rancho shocks since they're adjustable and I'm hoping to soften the street ride a bit mostly to get my wife in the Jeep more often. She has back problems and so the stiff ride of the current setup isn't really her favorite.

I've seen a few threads of people running the Rancho shocks with MC springs so I know it's being done and must be ok. I haven't seen any comparisons on the ride though vs. say the ARB shocks that MC is using. I always forget if MC is stiff springs/soft shocks or the other way around. Anyone have any insight here? I'll also likely be going with a shorter shock since the ones MC is using are super long travel and they even use the same ones for the 3.5" kits/etc. but I haven't totally decided there (still need to do limiting straps at some point I guess).

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I have Rancho 9000xl's on my Jeep and while the adjustability feature is nice I really dont feel much of a difference. The problems I have had with them includes the frequent replacement of the little plastic adjustment knobs after hard wheeling. Rocks eat them. I am in the rust belt and have had a warranty replacement (all 4 shocks, 1 month without a Jeep)as the liquid rust we have here infiltrates around the knob and freezes the adjustment feature with rust. A little grease behind the knob helps a little.
Overall the price is good and the service is good but I will probably go with a different shock when I change lifts, the Falcons sound like a great shock. I probably didnt help you much but that is my 2 cents on the Ranchos.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
For someone w a bad back idk if it would make enough difference.

As Captain said, the adjuster knobs seize up if you don't grease them inside. Rancho said in another thread it's a good idea to turn them once a month.

Hindsight, I would have painted the body w rustoleum or something cause the body rusts too.

Your only hope is the six pack shocks :)

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
I have been told by the guys at MC that Rancho 9000's work but really only on the softest settings. MC is a stiff spring and a soft shock setup. If you go to a shorter shockd you will need to do limit straps, they are no required for any of their shocks.

IMO the MC ride is firm but never harsh like it was with the stock setup. And I am not sure you can make it acceptable for you wife without a different spring setup. If you are a light build adding some weight would probably make it better but that hurts in other areas, like your pocket book.

Give the Guys at MC a call and see what they recommend. They are great to work with.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Somewhat off topic, but I am running 9000XL's with BDS springs (I have not experimented with any others so have no base line for comparison on springs). The 9000XL's are set at 3 for daily driving on rough, patched city streets. I am happy with the combo.

I do think it is a good idea to move the knobs back and forth every few months and I also use the end-all be-all wonder solution "Fluid Film" on them and have no issues with rust, etc.

For further improvement to smooth out the ride, I went with JKS flex connects with the softer yellow springs. Things are now wunderbar!

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been told by the guys at MC that Rancho 9000's work but really only on the softest settings. MC is a stiff spring and a soft shock setup. If you go to a shorter shockd you will need to do limit straps, they are no required for any of their shocks.

IMO the MC ride is firm but never harsh like it was with the stock setup. And I am not sure you can make it acceptable for you wife without a different spring setup. If you are a light build adding some weight would probably make it better but that hurts in other areas, like your pocket book.

Give the Guys at MC a call and see what they recommend. They are great to work with.
Ah ok well that makes it kinda pointless if I have to run around with them on 1 all the time lol. I wonder how the ARB shocks compare to the Fox or Rocksport shocks they also now offer. Was looking at their site and there wasn't really any comparison info. Guess I'll have to give them a call. Yeah I've noticed it rides better when it's loaded up for a weekend of camping/etc. but day to day it doesn't have that of course. I've added some weight already but I don't have the full set of skids or front bumper yet which would add another 2-300lbs permanently. I do have a winch but I went with synthetic which shaves off a good chunk vs steel rope.

·
Premium Member
9,582 Posts
Ah ok well that makes it kinda pointless if I have to run around with them on 1 all the time lol. I wonder how the ARB shocks compare to the Fox or Rocksport shocks they also now offer. Was looking at their site and there wasn't really any comparison info. Guess I'll have to give them a call. Yeah I've noticed it rides better when it's loaded up for a weekend of camping/etc. but day to day it doesn't have that of course. I've added some weight already but I don't have the full set of skids or front bumper yet which would add another 2-300lbs permanently. I do have a winch but I went with synthetic which shaves off a good chunk vs steel rope.
I easily have 500+ pounds of added weight in mine. It is not a stock ride but it is not to bad.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts