Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of deciding between the Rock Hard and the Metalcloak UnderCloak skid plates. Does anyone have experience with either skid plates? They appear to provide similar coverage but have a different approach on finished. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have Rockhard and I am very happy with them. Install is easy.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I don't own the skid plates but I own a fair amount of Metalcloak items and I think you can't go wrong with Metalcloak. Always friendly, helpful, great customer service and top quality products. Pricey stuff indeed, but you get what you pay for.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
170 Posts
Rock Hard is a great company and we ran their skids on our own Jeeps long before developing our own, so you won't go wrong if that is the direction you decide to go.

When we designed ours, we ensured it was boat sided, easy to install and included it's own cross member - not to mention the awesome White Zinc finish to battle the elements.

·
Registered
479 Posts
What's the difference in price between the two?

The MC version looks pretty impressive, but it ain't cheap.

·
Registered
809 Posts
During the last offroad show here, I spent a little while climbing around under both the show Jeeps at Rock Hard and Metalcloak. They both have a similar design, and I was impressed by both. One difference right off the top is whether you want aluminum or steel. Only Rock Hard has the aluminum.

I was a little more impressed with how seamless the Metalcloak fit together underneath. One big difference though, was the people at the booths. One of the owners of Rock Hard spent a fair amount of time with me, showing me the products, talking to me about options, and didn't pressure me in the slightest about purchasing. Even though the Metalcloak booth had few customers, I couldn't even get the attention of anyone there....they could give a shit. Several of them spent more time talking to some of their friends that stopped by the show. I never did get any questions answered.

Which one would you prefer to deal with after the sale?

·
Sponsoring Vendor
170 Posts
During the last offroad show here, I spent a little while climbing around under both the show Jeeps at Rock Hard and Metalcloak. They both have a similar design, and I was impressed by both. One difference right off the top is whether you want aluminum or steel. Only Rock Hard has the aluminum.

I was a little more impressed with how seamless the Metalcloak fit together underneath. One big difference though, was the people at the booths. One of the owners of Rock Hard spent a fair amount of time with me, showing me the products, talking to me about options, and didn't pressure me in the slightest about purchasing. Even though the Metalcloak booth had few customers, I couldn't even get the attention of anyone there....they could give a shit. Several of them spent more time talking to some of their friends that stopped by the show. I never did get any questions answered.

Truly sorry you had that experience. What show was it?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts

I have all three Rock Hard steel skids and they have taken a pounding without deforming. I go on a lot of rocky trails and they have definitely protected my undercarriage.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I have been running the Rock Hard steel full setup (gas tank as well) for almost 3 years and no complaints. Not much fun to take on-and-off as they are a little heavy. But, every time I do it I get a little more proficient at it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I wish metalcloak would sell the skids by the piece and kit. For the people that don't want to drop. $1300 on skids all at once.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I think the biggest difference (aside from price) is that the MC skids require a new crossmember, where the RH skids reuse your factory crossmember. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

They're both going to protect your jeep. Personally, I went with the ACE Engineering skids, because I'm originally from Michigan, and they're from Michigan, and support local, blahblahblah. :)

·
Registered
324 Posts

Unfortunately this is with everything. I have been on the fence about many things. Ready to drop thousands, then I couldn't get anyone to give my money to. It happens. Call up MC and talk to them. I have had good experiences with them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
I bought a Metalcloak lift and have been very pleased with it. They are at the top of my list for protecting the bottom side of my Jeep and the reason for that is quality and customer service. I haven't been to a show and talked to any of the guys but I know the 3 or 4 times I've called, a live human picked up the phone after 1 or 2 rings. It wasn't just an operator answering the phone either, the person on the other end knows the products and how to install them. American made with great customer service, I'm a fan.

·
Premium Member
7,351 Posts
You can't go wrong with either. I love my MC suspension and I love my RockHard skids. Customer service from both companies has been outstanding for me. I choose RockHard mostly because of the recommendation I got for here. The MC kit is a little more expensive but you get a new cross member which might be a good idea if you current on is beat up.

·
Bella's Jeeper
1,232 Posts
I have the Rock Hard aluminum and love them. No noticeable difference in ride height, which matters to me as I wheel at stock height. I also have their aluminum front and rear bumpers.

Great products. Great company. Great people.

I am sure the MetalCloak products are great too - I have a 2.5 GameChanger lift in my future....and maybe some aluminum fenders.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Unfortunately this is with everything. I have been on the fence about many things. Ready to drop thousands, then I couldn't get anyone to give my money to. It happens. Call up MC and talk to them. I have had good experiences with them.

Yeah, probably better in a non-show setting. I had gone to the show with the intention of getting a 3.5 Game Changer and aluminum fenders. I was put off enough leaving the booth that I purchased a Teraflex lift instead. Never did buy fenders, as I liked the MC ones the best, but didn't really want to buy anything from them.

Having the right people in the booths really does make a big difference.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Never did buy fenders, as I liked the MC ones the best, but didn't really want to buy anything from them.
Have you looked at the Nemesis fenders? I was thinking MC until I saw the Odyssey flares in person. Will buy some eventually, got to finish some other projects first.

·
Sponsoring Vendor
170 Posts
Yeah, probably better in a non-show setting. I had gone to the show with the intention of getting a 3.5 Game Changer and aluminum fenders. I was put off enough leaving the booth that I purchased a Teraflex lift instead. Never did buy fenders, as I liked the MC ones the best, but didn't really want to buy anything from them.

Having the right people in the booths really does make a big difference.
Truly sorry about that. That was definitely our loss.

I am pretty much in the booth at Off Road Expo from an hour before it opens until close doing nothing but talking with customers - or processing orders - I never leave for lunch or for touring the event. I can't even tell you about any other companies there because I don't have time - our booth is always busy, and not with casual friends, but with past and future customers (aka friends).

I can't speak for what happened when you came by, but it sounds like we need to bring more than 8 staff to manage the 20x30 booth this year.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts