Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have the OEM flairs off and painted I need to remount them. Of course most of the blind fittings had to be ripped out to get the flairs off. Now its time to figure out the best way to remount them. Does anyone have a good method or can they recommend fittings for this. In particular the blind hole issue where there is no access to the fastener from behind?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I recently upgraded my stock flares to 7" wide aftermarket ones. I did this install myself, in my driveway, and I was able to reach every fastener on the entire vehicle... so where is this fastener that you are unable to access from behind?

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I used nuts and bolts for the ones that were accessible from inside the tub. For the two rear nutserts that could not be reached, I used christmas tree plugs from the hardware store.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recently upgraded my stock flares to 7" wide aftermarket ones. I did this install myself, in my driveway, and I was able to reach every fastener on the entire vehicle... so where is this fastener that you are unable to access from behind?
On the rear passenger side the previous owner must have removed the plastic backers and when they were replaced he used massive self tapping bolts through the sheet metal ...the rear drivers side had the the hard rubber backing nuts like on the YJ's .... can't remember what the fronts both side had but were NOT the rubber backers, they were pretty rusted on and just spun while not enough head on the fasteners to hold with vice grips so may have also been replaced previously .... any nutserts that were left were rusted and seized and would only spin with no rear access to hold so out they came. These were located behind the front flare extensions and at the front mounting of the rear wheel fare. Anything going back in will hopefully be stainless or nylon... I hate those funky flat backs that Jeep has been using for years. There has to be something better that those and the heads on the screws are generally so rusted away there is not enough head for a socket or to grab with a vice grip.. I had a bit...ch of a time..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts