Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
10,420 Posts

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
I once made a comment on this forum about how Mexicans were coming across the border and stealing cars in san diego when I lived there. I was called a racist.

Back when I was on North Island, there was a lot at the front of the base where people without motorcycle licenses would park their bikes. About 25 of them went over the border in a trailer one night.

I didnt realize just how easy it was to program a key. In Feb I was back down in San Diego for work, one of my coworkers lost the key to his rental car, a dodge minivan. We had a guy come out who just took down the vin and made us a new key right there on the spot. He was done in 20 minutes.

SD is the worst place for car thefts, at least that I have seen. Once I left my insurance dropped like 20%.

·
Registered
660 Posts
THANK YOU !!!! I just contacted my dealer, having a hood lock installed next week
hood lock matched to your ignition key wont do any good.. As the article states, these guys get your VIN # then make keys to match your jeep.. I would cover the VIN number on your dash and frame under drivers door. spot weld a plate on frame and place tape over the dash plate. Make sure your doors are always locked.. If you see any signs of tampering of your VIN# hide plates than find a garage to lock your jeep in..

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
hood lock matched to your ignition key wont do any good.. As the article states, these guys get your VIN # then make keys to match your jeep.. I would cover the VIN number on your dash and frame under drivers door. spot weld a plate on frame and place tape over the dash plate. Make sure your doors are always locked.. If you see any signs of tampering of your VIN# hide plates than find a garage to lock your jeep in..
Careful where you do that, there are places where obscuring or covering the VIN is illegal. Personally, I started parking in the garage. There go my dreams of turning it into my own personal machine shop. :rip:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Careful where you do that, there are places where obscuring or covering the VIN is illegal. Personally, I started parking in the garage. There go my dreams of turning it into my own personal machine shop. :rip:
It is illeagle to alter or remove a VIN but not to cover. Most Dash covers will do the job for the Dash, spot welding a plat over frame vin is no big deal. In fact, some rockslider mounting plates will do the job for you. Well worth the trouble.

·
Registered
5,294 Posts
If my Jeep gets stolen, there are plenty more where it came from. It's insured, let them worry about it. I have a life to live.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
It is illeagle to alter or remove a VIN but not to cover. Most Dash covers will do the job for the Dash, spot welding a plat over frame vin is no big deal. In fact, some rockslider mounting plates will do the job for you. Well worth the trouble.
Not according the the NY DMV.
In an effort to protect consumers, the Department of Motor Vehicles would like to inform you about New York State laws pertaining to vehicle identification numbers (also called VINs).

It is against the law to possess a motor vehicle or any part of a motor vehicle that has a vehicle identification number that is

destroyed
altered
defaced
concealed
removed
Law enforcement will seize (or confiscate) any motor vehicle or motor vehicle part that is determined to have an altered or missing identification number. The municipality where the ‘unidentifiable’ motor vehicle or part is seized can sell the vehicle or part at a public auction.

·
Registered
660 Posts
If my Jeep gets stolen, there are plenty more where it came from. It's insured, let them worry about it. I have a life to live.
The fun begins when you try to recover your accessory cost. Most people don't document these. And the insurance companies never cover your actual cost's anyway. It's pretty easy to accumulate over 20K accessorizing and probably the average for most jeep owners. You might recover most off your original purchase cost of your jeep but have fun fighting the insurance company for all your accessories. These thief's are not after your bone stock jeep. They are after highly accessorized jeeps.. That's where the money is and why they end up in chop shops in Mexico

·
Registered
660 Posts
Not according the the NY DMV.
Sorry you live in New York.. I would still put a dash cover and some type of mounting plate on the frame and play dumb from there.
Besides your law only gets threatening when you destroy or alter or have a missing VIN # - They do not mention covered!!

"Law enforcement will seize (or confiscate) any motor vehicle or motor vehicle part that is determined to have an altered or missing identification number. The municipality where the ‘unidentifiable’ motor vehicle or part is seized can sell the vehicle or part at a public auction."

So i defiantly would feel comfortable covering your VIN in NY

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Sorry you live in New York.. I would still put a dash cover and some type of mounting plate on the frame and play dumb from there.
Besides your law only gets threatening when you destroy or alter or have a missing VIN # - They do not mention covered!!

"Law enforcement will seize (or confiscate) any motor vehicle or motor vehicle part that is determined to have an altered or missing identification number. The municipality where the ‘unidentifiable’ motor vehicle or part is seized can sell the vehicle or part at a public auction."

So i defiantly would feel comfortable covering your VIN in NY
I don't live in NY, but I do travel and understand that the laws vary by state. I don't know if other states have similar laws, so I avoid making blanket statements and simply used NY as an example.

As noted in the full quote, it includes "concealed" VINs. Feel free to do whatever you want to your VIN. Personally, I'm not too worried about it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts