Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be premature, but on Friday, June 7, 2015, I ordered a GenRight Safari tank (31.5 gal), along with a M.O.R.E. 1" body lift (with a steering riser lift) and a 1" Motor Mount lift. The gas tank is something I would always want, but if I don't do it first, I probably never will.

Not sure how long it'll take to get here but am looking forward to getting started. Will install the body lift first, once it's here. I should have between a 550 and 570 mile range when it's all said and done, I'm getting right around 18mpg currently. It'll add about 69 pounds in fuel (11.5 x 6 (pounds per gallon for gasoline)) when full.

GenRight 31.5 Gallon LJ Safari Gas Tank and Skid Plate

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
awesome, following this.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, so I really suck at taking pictures while I'm working... So my apologies.

I did manage to get the body lift, MML, and Safari tank installed and here are the pictures I took (when I remembered to take pictures)

These show the results of removing the second to last crossmember, the one who's sole purpose is to hold a standard TJ size fuel tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did coat all the cuts with a fresh coat of Rustoeum Black paint. The gas tank bolts from the cut out crossmember are them relocated to the rear crossmember, which has the same whole in it. Easy peezy! The toughest part was cutting out the crossmember, after that it was fairly smooth sailing. (had to figure out the Evap connector in the rear passenger side fender.

I put a red plastic cap on the top of the old tank to keep crap out of it, since I intend to sell it.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Need to take pics from the back and side when it's on the ground. The skid plate that comes with the new tank is easily twice the thickness of the stock skid. Amazing how the tank literally take up all the space available back there. O put about 16 gallons in it, just to see how the gauge works and it's reading just a tad over half full. Very nice!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I love the extra capacity, I'm now filling up once a week when I used to have to fill up one in the middle of the week. I monitor my fuel mileage with dash command on my iPhone and my Bluetooth obd2 reader, which helps with my range. I'm consistently just under 19 mpg, which works for me.

The hardest part of the install was cutting out the extra crossmember. Other than that everything went together and works perfectly.

Love it!

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
I love the extra capacity, I'm now filling up once a week when I used to have to fill up one in the middle of the week. I monitor my fuel mileage with dash command on my iPhone and my Bluetooth obd2 reader, which helps with my range. I'm consistently just under 19 mpg, which works for me.

The hardest part of the install was cutting out the extra crossmember. Other than that everything went together and works perfectly.

Love it!
Thanks for the feedback. The Safari tank is definitely on my to do list.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I keep forgetting to mention that the skid plate is really a high quality piece. Very stout. Can't remember if it's 3/16" or 1/4" steel. Very heavy duty.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ordered the MetalCloak Overline system (Fenders, 6" flares, Rockers, Rear corners and flares), Powder Coated Black. Should ship in 2-4 weeks. I should be able to pick up my 35's before the MC's get here.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Received notice that my metal cloak fender package shipped today, it'll take a week to get here. Only two weeks since I ordered, including powder coating. Not too shabby!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've heard from others that it's not necessary, but it would be needed later if I do a Hemi swap. So I went ahead and did it.

It does appear that there is extra room between the tank and floor of the Jeep. I'll try to take a measurement and post it here.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Metal cloak Armor arrived today, or at least 5 of the 6 boxes arrived.

Tires are in, still waiting for wheels, they should be in tomorrow. It's gonna be a good weekend!

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Picked up my new tires and wheels today, glad they all fit in the back of my wife's 4Runner.

Cooper Discoverer STT 35x12.5x15

Also, the final Metalcloak box arrived today as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Productive day today, my parents are in town visiting for the holiday weekend and my Dad wanted to help with the fenders.

Got the fronts done, wow, 9 hours and one stripped nut and one bolt sheared off. Still need to get the marker/turn signals functioning as well as get the side hold hold downs put on< then I have the rear corners and fenders and the rockers to do...

Attachments

·
Registered
65 Posts
Productive day today, my parents are in town visiting for the holiday weekend and my Dad wanted to help with the fenders. Got the fronts done, wow, 9 hours and one stripped nut and one bolt sheared off. Still need to get the marker/turn signals functioning as well as get the side hold hold downs put on< then I have the rear corners and fenders and the rockers to do...
It looks great keep up with the pics. It's very informative!

·
Registered
556 Posts
It is looking really good.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Guys!
Got the rear Fenders finished up to day, lots of work, the first one kicked my butt yesterday, but the second went much smoother... come to think of it, the front fenders were like that too.

The hood latches work just like normal, you transfer the fender mounted portion to the Metalcloak fender, course one of mine snapped, carnage below.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 217 Posts