Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

181 - 200 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Front end has the shakes, and it?s screwing up my tires, cupping. I tightened up the track bar yesterday, which didn?t seem to help much. Ball joints and steering system are about 1 year old. The track bar is metal cloak and the steering is JCR. Both are excellent quality. I rotated the tires last weekend and that didn?t help. I?ll be checking tire pressure today as well as retorquing everything.

Gotta love link style suspensions...
keep us updated!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #182 ·
Well, I checked the tire pressure on all my tires. All were low, so I topped them off and I switched the moved the cupped tires back to the front because they're horribly loud in the back (under the body), so they're on opposite sides from where they started. I also tightened the track back because there was a little movement in it...

Steering wheel vibes are gone!! Whoo Hoo!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Forgot to mention, I installed the Black Magic Brake pads and Centric rotors, I never had a problem with my brakes, but my wife did. I would say that now after about a week of driving with the new brakes (Yes I did the brake-in procedure) I'd say they are better than before. The real test will be if/when my wife drives the Jeep again. (I'm a 6'4" bodybuilder (old now but still work out hard) and my wife is 5'1" non-exerciser)

·
Super Moderator
3,784 Posts
Forgot to mention, I installed the Black Magic Brake pads and Centric rotors, I never had a problem with my brakes, but my wife did. I would say that now after about a week of driving with the new brakes (Yes I did the brake-in procedure) I'd say they are better than before. The real test will be if/when my wife drives the Jeep again. (I'm a 6'4" bodybuilder (old now but still work out hard) and my wife is 5'1" non-exerciser)
Mine have saved my ass 2x

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #185 ·
On of my AC hoses failed AGAIN, so I?m going a different direction...should have something to show in a few days.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Here's my AC hose fix. Reliability seems to be an issue with the crimped connector ends, so if this braided line makes it to spring, I'll be doing to other one as well. So far so good.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
Decided to fix my rear bumper issue. The swing out carrier was too narrow and I couldn't open the back door all the way. I had originally planned to swap out the rear door for a tailgate, but I've had second thoughts. So I'm moving the hinge over about 7 inches.

I'll have to get the welds all cleaned up and painted next weekend, but so far so good. I also need a longer hinge bolt.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #188 ·
Finished up the tire carrier, it's a little rough but will be fine. This bumper/carrier is pretty heavy so I'm working on a new design.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Thinking back on my Hemi swap, I thought I would share some info someone else might find useful. These are my experiences and opinions, please threat them as such.

I bought a modified kit from RedRockRacing: https://redrockracing.com/products/turn-key-hemi-tj-conversion

I found the Red Rock TJ Hemi guide to be a very valuable resource in my Hemi swap, and it’s available here: https://redrockracing.com/products/tj-v8-guide-series-hemi

I ordered an exhaust system from Jeep Speed Shop. If you can avoid that shop I would. Once ordered, I received no indication that my order had been received, and over the course of 6-8 weeks it was like pulling teeth to get any info on a time frame for shipment. When I finally received the exhaust system, it had been around 8 weeks and the back half was for a TJ. This happened after I had specified the LJ system and each time I contacted them, I reiterated that the system was for an LJ. Once I had received the exhaust 1) I really didn't want to deal with them anymore, and 2) I had a rear half from my 4.0 of the same diameter and large muffler, and 3) My system already fit around my genright last tank. So I decided to modify my old rear half to fit the new front half. I still have one side that doesn't seal to the exhaust manifold and there are interference issues with the front half, so I'm going to have to take it to an exhaust shop after all. (The exhaust is made by Heartthrob Exhaust in Litchfield, MN. If you want to contact them directly or find another distributor.)

The radiator shipped late which delayed getting the fenders and grill back on the Jeep. Be sure they drop ship that right away (they order the radiator, so it should be able to be shipped quickly). I also received the wrong one, but it's the right size and I was able to make it work fine.

Don't use the coolant overflow bottle they send you, it’s too small. Use the one that's on your current radiator. I had to cut up my old shroud to make this work.

Engine placement...the motor mount kit you'll receive is made by advance adapters and has spacers that allow you to adjust the position of the engine front to rear by 1/2" total in 1/4" increments. I started out with the engine all the way forward (to be sure of firewall clearances). I ended up moving it all the way back and have no clearance issues. Just an FYI. Placing the engine weight as far rearward as possible is good for the stability and balance of the Jeep. In an LJ the rear driveshaft is not as short as in a TJ, so keeping the the engine forward might make more sense in a TJ to keep the driveshaft as long as possible to limit vibrations.

I experienced overheating issues... turned out that when I took it to get the A/C filled, they put in too much refrigerant, which made the compressor very hard to turn and the engine would heat up... I ended up taking it to a different shop, they removed the coolant and refilled it, which fixed that issue and the temps have not been a problem since. (and A/C lines are a nightmare!) I’ve made a braided stainless steel line using aero quip parts (they have a line specifically for AC systems), I’m planning to swap out the other line in the spring. Crimp connectors suck…

When you get your RAM ECU reprogrammed, be sure to tell them to deactivate the A/C circuit. I don't know why this isn't part of the default reprogramming for this swap, but you'll get a dash code if they don't deactivate it. The Ram's computer controls the A/C and the Fan, not so in the Jeep. I had to send my computer back, and it was a 5 week turn around time.

The transmission mount is a new design (different than what was in the RedRock Guide I purchased). It's not a huge deal, but it came with no directions or transmission hardware. Here's a list of hardware I bought to make the mount work:

10x1.5x30mm - 2 (bolts the transmission plate to the transmission)
10x1.5x40mm - 2 (bolts the transmission plate to the transmission through the spacers)
1/2"x5" Grade 8 (although grade 5 would probably be fine) - 1 (I got the bolts this length so the mounts would be riding on the bolt's shoulder, rather than on the treads)
1/2" Nyloc nut - 1
1/2" x 1/4" thick washer - 2

There are spacers with the mount and I ended up tack welding them to the mount to keep them from wondering. I spoke to Jim about this so they may or may not tack them before shipping now...

The Transfer case cable mount bracket... I had to modify it quite a bit to get it to fit properly. You might want to have a look at this while the transfer case it out. It's a royal pain to bolt on if the transmission is mounted completely. I ended up cutting a wrench in half to access one (or two) of the bolts.

When I moved the engine rearward I also pushed the transmission up one notch on the tranny mount, if I could have pushed it up two notches I could have used my higher clearance skid without spacers. I have a one inch spacer now and am planning to look at this again to try to get more room/see why it wouldn't go up more.

I do have an SYE and double adjustable arms on my suspension, both are invaluable when installing this engine. I did not have to replace my rear driveshaft as I'm still just within the tolerances for the shaft I bought from Adam's driveshaft. My driveshaft with the Hemi and 545FRE was longer by 1.25”.

It's a pretty straight forward install and Jim at Red Rock is a good guy. Getting his attention is tough sometimes when/if you run into issues, but once you get his attention, he's very sharp and knows what to do. Just stay persistent. It takes longer to do the swap so plan on that.

I’m So glad I did the swap when my 4.0 died, I was on my second 42RFE and it was starting to act up. I’d also replaced my ECU. So I got ride of that terrible trans with the swap which was a bonus. The Jeep is a beast now, and runs so good.

Reactions: YetiTJ and rollout1

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
WRECK: Last week I was in a wreck, no real injuries (other than soreness, etc), one of those deals where traffic just stops in front of you. It was my fault, locked up the tires and slid into the car in front of me. I'm really glad no one was hurt. The Jeep is in the shop with a bend front axle and the body mounts on one side are either now at an angle, or the mount bolts are bent.

The right side lower control arm mount is mangled, but the axle is getting replaced anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
WRECK: Last week I was in a wreck, no real injuries (other than soreness, etc), one of those deals where traffic just stops in front of you. It was my fault, locked up the tires and slid into the car in front of me. I'm really glad no one was hurt. The Jeep is in the shop with a bend front axle and the body mounts on one side are either now at an angle, or the mount bolts are bent.

The right side lower control arm mount is mangled, but the axle is getting replaced anyway.
Gosh, sorry about the bad luck. The main concern is the frame, is there any chance it is out of alignment?

I bet the front bumper destroyed the other vehicle. Get a ticket, "failure to reduce speed"?

Take care...

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #192 ·
Failure to stop, actually. You’re right, the other vehicle was I’m sure, totaled. I thank God no one was hurt.

The claims adjuster is supposed to go back to look at my Jeep again tomorrow. He had no idea the front axle was bent. I also want him to check out the steering linkage and steering gear.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Reactions: MichaelR

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·

·
Registered
620 Posts
Mike, is that the stock hood you run with the Overline Fenders or is it a highline hood ?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #198 ·
Still waiting for the front axle, in the mean time the rear 44 is getting re-geared to 4.88 today (to match the new axle).

Reactions: Scott B.

·
Registered
556 Posts
That wreck was a major cluster. Were you found at fault for running into the back of that car?
No we were all completely stopped so only the original driver was at fault.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Carbon off-road shipped my new front axle Thursday morning, the Jeep is at a body shop getting the body mounts fixed... hopefully I’ll have it back soon.

181 - 200 of 218 Posts