Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

201 - 218 of 218 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #201 ·
New Axle is going in:

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #202 ·
My Baby's Back! That's one beefy front axle, Carbon Off Road did a great job, it's a Currie Dana 44 Housing with chromoly shafts, 4.88 gears and an ARB air locker.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #203 ·
Passed Emissions last week, whew! No reason I shouldn't have, but it's nice to have that behind me.

Also, I replaced my winch cable with a winch rope. The cable was kinked last year.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #204 ·
I put in a 190* thermostat and a 190* fan switch in an effort to let the hemi run cooler. Took it for a long drive today and it was running at 194* consistently. I romped on it and the temp went to 201, then settled back to 194. love it running cooler.

From what I've heard a 180* thermostat would make the computer throw an engine code, but the 190 won't trigger it. Seems to be working great!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #205 ·
Six months later, spring is here and the Jeep still loves to heat up if the A/C is on. I went to a different shop because I don't want to have to deal with this for another Maryland Summer, ugh! I had a custom Fan shroud made, and a huge flex-a-lite fan installed (3300cfm). Works great with A/C on. The shop also fixed my nagging exhaust leak. First drive to work with it was this morning and wouldn't you know... something went wrong. The Fan is not turning on, so we're heading back to the shop after work, it's basically a highway drive over there so heat shouldn't be an issue... I'm sure it's something small. The guy seems really good and he's an old Mopar A-body drag car guy.

The local company that made the fan shroud and supplied the fan is here:
Mahaffey Motorsports - Custom Fabricated Fan Shrouds

The first pic is the fan/shroud that came with the "kit" and the second is the new one.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #206 ·
Turns out the problem is with my radiator thermal switch. The fan works fine with the A/C on (A/C switch bypasses the thermal switch).

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #208 ·
It's been a while since I've posted.

I bought some Hemi name plates ($20) that had the lower script painted Red... Then I bought some model paint and a few craft syringes and painted the Red parts orange to go with my silver/black/orange theme...

I suppose I was bored... but it turned out nice.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #209 ·
I bought a cowl panel (mine looked like a previous owner had walked on it) and a windshield frame about last winter and spring. My old windshield frame was rusting out pretty bad, so I was able to tackle that job on my last trip to Tennessee. I drive down there pretty often to help my Mom, I spend a couple of weeks at a time there (I can work from home (or Tennessee) so that works out great). So this past trip I took the parts to a local collision shop and they color matched the silver for me. They did a very nice job.

The old frame was worse than it looked from inside the Jeep...

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #210 ·
The worse part for me was removing the torx bolts that hold the windshield frame from the outside., those ended up not being an issue once I YouTubed it and would I could use my micro torch to heat the bolts for about a minute. That melts the lock-tite so they can be removed. They were still tight, but not a problem at all.

I also switched back to the hard top while it was all apart.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #211 ·
After work Friday I took off the front bumper, and stripped it. Then Saturday I was able to sand it down and repaint it and the D rings. I think I put on at least 5 coats of paint on each. I use a textured black rustoleum on the bumper and Krylon orange on the D Rings. Was able to get it all back together yesterday evening.

Looks like from the picture that I need to clean the car port floor...lol

The wife's 4runner leaks...and I don't want to work on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #212 ·
I needed to rebuild my Transfer Case, the front bearing was shot and roaring... so I ended up finding a guy in the local Jeep club with an NP242 he wanted to swap for a 231... I rebuilt the 242 with the gracious help of a friend from the Jeep group, installed an SYE, and now I have 2High, 4High, AWD, N, and 4Low. Pretty cool. I just have to alter the transmission mount (I don't use the skid for my trans mount) to accommodate the new transfer case. I'll do that on Saturday.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #213 ·
The NP242 is in with new bearing, seals and SYE. Just had to notch the mount base to clear the 242 “hump.” I now have AWD.

Attachments

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #217 ·

·
Registered
2006 Rubicon, 4.0, automatic (stock for now)
435 Posts
Couple of questions; who makes the led tail lights, and have do you like them? Also, how do you like the headlights? I’m looking to swap all the outer lighting to led. What relay did you use Ep 26 or 27? Awesome looking build! I may have more questions, I just started reading your build.

201 - 218 of 218 Posts