Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am pretty sure that if your wheels stick outside of the fenders it is not legal. However, idk whether or not you will get stopped for it.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Right now I am running 33x12.50's on some mickey classic 2's and they stick out past my stock tj sport flares. I've never been pulled over for them, I've even driven right past sitting cops at stop signs and nothing. (If I had to guess, mine stick out probably a good 2-3 inches)

·
Grampie
783 Posts
Here is a link to the Michigan Compiled Laws (MCL). # 257 deals with vehicles. I could not find any reference to fender requirements, but, I am not a lawyer. I got this link by asking my local city police what the law is on driving lights and they referred my to the link. I suggest asking your local police dept if they can tell you what the law is.

Here is the link: Michigan Legislature - Home

·
Registered
277 Posts
Driving lights are not regulated by state laws. The are regulated by FMVSS108. FMVSS108 references many SAE regulation (but not always the latest spec). So, the only lighting requirement being modified are the side marker and side reflex lamps. These lamps do not have requirements in regard to the width of the vehicle. However, the do have to have a clear line-of-sight 45* towards the rear of the vehicle. Although there wont be any cops that are savvy enough to know, you would be able to fight it if you were armed with the lighting regulations. I happen to know a lighting Engineer that could help you produce the regulations for a court trial ;). There is also a height requirement but it only for a minimum height. So, it would only be an issue if you drop your jeep.

·
Grampie
783 Posts
J33P4X4 said:
Driving lights are not regulated by state laws. The are regulated by FMVSS108. FMVSS108 references many SAE regulation (but not always the latest spec). So, the only lighting requirement being modified are the side marker and side reflex lamps. These lamps do not have requirements in regard to the width of the vehicle. However, the do have to have a clear line-of-sight 45* towards the rear of the vehicle. Although there wont be any cops that are savvy enough to know, you would be able to fight it if you were armed with the lighting regulations. I happen to know a lighting Engineer that could help you produce the regulations for a court trial ;). There is also a height requirement but it only for a minimum height. So, it would only be an issue if you drop your jeep.
I agree, but MI regulates how many lights can be on at one time.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Maybe, but what does that have to do with fenders? I only made those comments because the side marker and side reflex functions are in the stock fenders.

·
Grampie
783 Posts
J33P4X4 said:
Maybe, but what does that have to do with fenders? I only made those comments because the side marker and side reflex functions are in the stock fenders.
Nothing, as I said, I couldn't find anything about fenders & recommended he contact his local police dept for help. Only provided the mcl link.

·
Registered
613 Posts
As long as you have the factory flares or wider on then you wont get hassled for your tire width, now if you take them off and run without any, then expect to get hassled. I run 33/12.5/15 and they stick out past the TJ flares on mine and have never been hassled.

·
Registered
506 Posts
NewYJOwner said:
As long as you have the factory flares or wider on then you wont get hassled for your tire width, now if you take them off and run without any, then expect to get hassled. I run 33/12.5/15 and they stick out past the TJ flares on mine and have never been hassled.
^x2

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I just spent the last couple days checking out the MCL and Act 300 of 1949. I have also talked to 2 MSP officers. I can not find anything regarding fender coverage. Which is good, because I just got 35x12.50s on 2.5" backspaced steelies. Also running tube fenders with 3" flares. Hope I don't get harassed too much.

·
Grampie
783 Posts
YJ fanatic said:
I just spent the last couple days checking out the MCL and Act 300 of 1949. I have also talked to 2 MSP officers. I can not find anything regarding fender coverage. Which is good, because I just got 35x12.50s on 2.5" backspaced steelies. Also running tube fenders with 3" flares. Hope I don't get harassed too much.
You should be OK in MI. I see lots of Wranglers with tires outside the fenders. If you do have problems, let us know what happened.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Will do:thumb:. I've been running around with my 10.50s which stick out about 3", and never had any trouble. Been pulled over by the MSP for a tail light out, but never said anything about my fenders. But my 35s are gonna stick out about another 2". We'll see what happens.

·
Registered
756 Posts
My GFs brother is a Genesee county sheriff. I asked him. There is no clear law about fenders her in Michigan. I've ran with absolutely no fenders for a few years now. Mine stick almost completely out of the well in the rear and with no fenders up front the y stick out completely. I've never been pulled over or harassed.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Rebel_Ryders_Offroad said:
My GFs brother is a Genesee county sheriff. I asked him. There is no clear law about fenders her in Michigan. I've ran with absolutely no fenders for a few years now. Mine stick almost completely out of the well in the rear and with no fenders up front the y stick out completely. I've never been pulled over or harassed.
That's good to know! Thanks :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
I agree, but MI regulates how many lights can be on at one time.
Does that also include markers & rear facing lights?

I love lots of lights, kinda like those semi trucks use to have. My little 2WD pickup has quite a few marker and especially rear brake lighting, all LED's.

Been thinking about replacing the stock rear tail lights on my 98 Wrangler Sport 4.0 with Grote brand Hi Count LED Box Lights (#G5092-5 & #G5082-5). Maybe even some thin LED markers on the side of the hardtop. Red of course.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts