Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of January's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Okay, finally got the 255/85r17 (35 x 10.0 x 17) set installed. I had hoped they would clear with the JL Rubicon rims, but I had to get 1.5" spacers as they rubbed on the sway bar and Metal Cloak lower control arms. The wheel tire combo is 8.5 lbs. lighter each than my previous MB Wheels and 35 x 12.50 x 17 ATZP3's. The ride and driving at highway speed is much better. Sorry if this is too many pics.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Never too many pics! These are intriguing. Another pizza cutter option to consider. I assume these are E rated?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I really loved the ATZ P3s at 295 70 17, but they are E rated. Even airing down to 15lbs rattles your bones on these southern Utah dirt roads. I'm looking at the Baja Boss AT at 35x12.5 17 which is D rated. Mickey Thompson side walls are no joke. My ATZ side walls are all cut up, but at about 60k miles they don't leak air. I'm pretty excited about getting these new ATs one size up in the D rating. Oh, thanks for all the pictures...all these Jeeps look great with this new tire.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I never understood the “that has great voids/lugs for an AT!” selling point……. if that’s what you want, just get a milder MT…….

·
Registered
422 Posts
My 295 70 17 Dick Cepeck EXP's are E rated but only have 2 ply sidewalls. They ride smooth enough with 30 psi and are wearing OK with 15k miles road use. If a tire is E rated and 8 ply sidewall, it's likely gonna be very stiff.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I never understood the “that has great voids/lugs for an AT!” selling point……. if that’s what you want, just get a milder MT…….

For me, I continue to search for the right balance of attributes. Of the tires I've tried, the Wildpeak AT3W hands down best meets what I'm looking for. Other MT's including the Wilpeak MT have been way too loud. I hear the Wildpeak MT is supposed to be quiet for an MT but my set was not. The Baja Boss AT looks look it could do a little better in sloppy conditions with the bigger voids, and early reports indicate they're quiet, so I'd be willing to give them a shot. That's just my perspective.

·
Premium Member
16,741 Posts
For me, I continue to search for the right balance of attributes. Of the tires I've tried, the Wildpeak AT3W hands down best meets what I'm looking for. Other MT's including the Wilpeak MT have been way too loud. I hear the Wildpeak MT is supposed to be quiet for an MT but my set was not. The Baja Boss AT looks look it could do a little better in sloppy conditions with the bigger voids, and early reports indicate they're quiet, so I'd be willing to give them a shot. That's just my perspective.
AT3W is an outstanding tire... Best AT I've used and sold.

What I like about the "bigger voids" on the Baja Boss AT is that I might get better traction in a wider set of conditions. because this is still an AT, I still get all of the siping that makes it WAY better than any MT in rain and wet roads. But they might grab better in loose dirt and climbing rocks as well potentially a bit better in muddyish conditions.

Reactions: boosthead

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
I was not impressed with Falken Wild Peak MTs at all. Noise/wear/etc. They did ok on the trails though

·
Premium Member
16,741 Posts
I was not impressed with Falken Wild Peak MTs at all. Noise/wear/etc. They did ok on the trails though
Tires are odd that way... Any time we have someone that doesn't like an MT that we install for some reason, noise, vibration, pull, etc, we put on the Wildpeak MT's and instantly everything is great.

Just like the Patagonia's, many people say they are getting horrible wear on them... Mine couldn't be wearing any better than they are. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Tires are odd that way... Any time we have someone that doesn't like an MT that we install for some reason, noise, vibration, pull, etc, we put on the Wildpeak MT's and instantly everything is great.

Just like the Patagonia's, many people say they are getting horrible wear on them... Mine couldn't be wearing any better than they are. 🤷‍♂️
The Patagonia’s on my JK are pretty quiet at least.

The Trep’s on the JKU aren’t good for anything other than off-pavement driving, and I love them

·
Registered
728 Posts
I haven't been on the forum for a while, but I just got a set of the Baja Boss A/T 35s from Discount Tire and I had to post. I wanted an aggressive look and "great lugs". I've had Goodyear MTRs and most recently BFG KM2s. However, I've realized that I only spend time in the mud up in northern Wisconsin getting to fishing holes once or twice a year. For this (and "great lugs" ;)) I've put up with excessive noise, wobble, and lousy winter/rain performance. I also paid a crazy amount of money for tires without a warranty and managed only 25k mile on most. I just squeezed out 43k on the KM2s, but they should have been replaced before COVID hit. They wobbled dangerously between 48 and 50 mph after 25k miles and have been skids for the last 10k or so.

My new 35x12.50x17(D rated) Baja Boss A/Ts have a great look, large lugs, strong sidewalls and come with a 50k warranty! A set of five (~$260 each) were $500 less than BFG KM3s, but the warranty may be the biggest reason to give these a try. How many other manufacturers have faith in their A/T or M/T tires to offer any warranty at all? If it weren't for the siping, I don't think most people would even realize they were A/Ts. That's the beauty of all the new hybrids coming out these days. They give daily drivers like me great looks and off-road performance when we need it while also having excellent manners on the highway, especially in the rainy and snowy upper Midwest. They're even 3PMSF winter rated. I can't wait for the first snowfall to test them out, but I've already had them in the rain at highway speeds and they are great so far. They are incredibly quiet compared to the old KM2s, have fixed the ugly wobble I was experiencing, and their wet traction is FAR superior. I'm a happy Jeeper. I'll keep you posted regarding their wear.

Automotive parking light Tire Automotive side marker light Wheel Vehicle
Tire Vehicle Car Automotive parking light Wheel
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
5 Posts
I haven't been on the forum for a while, but I just got a set of the Baja Boss A/T 35s from Discount Tire and I had to post. I wanted an aggressive look and "great lugs". I've had Goodyear MTRs and most recently BFG KM2s. However, I've realized that I only spend time in the mud up in northern Wisconsin getting to fishing holes once or twice a year. For this (and "great lugs" ;)) I've put up with excessive noise, wobble, and lousy winter/rain performance. I also paid a crazy amount of money for tires without a warranty and managed only 25k mile on most. I just squeezed out 43k on the KM2s, but they should have been replaced before COVID hit. They wobbled dangerously between 48 and 50 mph after 25k miles and have been skids for the last 10k or so.

My new 35x12.50x17(D rated) Baja Boss A/Ts have a great look, large lugs, strong sidewalls and come with a 50k warranty! A set of five (~$260 each) were $500 less than BFG KM3s , but the warranty may be the biggest reason to give these a try. How many other manufacturers have faith in their A/T or M/T tires to offer any warranty at all? If it weren't for the siping, I don't think most people would even realize they were A/Ts. That's the beauty of all the new hybrids coming out these days. They give daily drivers like me great looks and off-road performance when we need it while also having excellent manners on the highway, especially in the rainy and snowy upper Midwest. They're even 3PMSF winter rated. I can't wait for the first snowfall to test them out, but I've already had them in the rain at highway speeds and they are great so far. They are incredibly quiet compared to the old KM2s, have fixed the ugly wobble I was experiencing, and their wet traction is FAR superior. I'm a happy Jeeper. I'll keep you posted regarding their wear.

View attachment 4516292
View attachment 4516293 View attachment 4516294
Hey, I don't see these anywhere on discount tire. Would you still have the link by chance? They've got Baja M/T but not A/T.
4wheelparts.com has them at about $290/per...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hey, I don't see these anywhere on discount tire. Would you still have the link by chance? They've got Baja M/T but not A/T.
4wheelparts.com has them at about $290/per...
I also noticed that Discount Tire still doesn't have them listed. Maybe they're trying to clear out their ATZ stock? I ordered the A/Ts about six weeks ago and they just came in on Monday. I paid for them in full to get the $100 rebate that was running through June 15th. Discount Tire had them in their system for the MSRP of $302.99, but not for sale online. I asked if they'd match a price of $283 that I had seen online and the guys here in Madison didn't hesitate. I'll post the website if I can find it again. With the $20-per-tire rebate (set of 5), the cost was right around $260 per tire with free installation. I can't say enough about Discount Tire here on the west side of Madison. Niko and the guys always treat me well!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ha! Just found it. The store was BB Wheels, but they don't have the 315s or the 35x12.50x17 listed now. Weird.

Mickey Thompson® Baja Boss Tires | Mickey Thompson All Terrain Tires | Free Shipping! (bbwheelsonline.com)

I was wrong about the price. They actually beat BB Wheels by $3 per tire and charged me $270 each, not $283. However, I was charged $21 per tire for installation. The total bill for five of them installed and disposal of the old ones was $1,470 before tax - $1,370 with the rebate. I've attached the receipt with the cost and Discount Tire part number.
Font Material property Number Screenshot Document

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ya looks like everyone already went through the rack and all that's left is S and XXL!
I might just call DT too...see if they can been 4wheelparts.com - Thanks for all the info, I appreciate it
I'm stepping up from 33's so I hope this tire is worth the $$$

·
Registered
728 Posts
Good luck. Tell them you have a friend in Wisconsin that got a great deal and show them the receipt!

I remember spending over $360 each for my BFGs and MTRs. At $250 each, I felt like I had hit the jackpot.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I think the best mod I've done was upgrading the headlights. The factory Halogen were very dim. I'm on my fifth Jeep and third pair of JW Speaker LED headlights. They have been awesome but are expensive. My only real complaint is that they are so efficient that they produce almost no heat. That's not great up here in the great white north. I've found myself on the roadside from time to time removing ice and snow since they won't melt off the headlights. I considered the JW Speaker's with heating elements, but they are stupid expensive and rather ugly IMHO. Of course, between COVID and my badly worn KM2s last winter, I didn't drive in snow much. :confused: I like the sharp light cutoff with the JW Speakers as well as the light pattern that illuminates extra high on the right-hand side. This helps tremendously to see signs, pedestrians, and the many deer around here - especially the deer. Plus, I can leave them on for hours without draining my battery. As far as HID, I haven't seen them before in a Wrangler. I can't imagine they'd be brighter or more accurate than LEDs, especially since there isn't any room depth wise for good optics like you find in other vehicles. Xenon bulbs are whiter and often brighter than halogen, but little is gained without true HID optics. I think the fact that all the exotics and other vehicles including new Jeeps have gone to LEDs from HID speaks volumes. I would add that installing LED bulbs in the standard headlight housing would also add only modest improvement. Whatever you decide on needs to be designed with true projection optics that fit in the limited space of a 7" bulb.

21 - 40 of 109 Posts