Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into buying a set and was wondering if anyone has run them and how they performed on and off road

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
I have limited experience with them. Ran a buddies jeep for a day on large rocks, did fine. On muddy wet rocks, bit more slipping. On road have no idea, I have heard from folks who have them, that they wear fast.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I had the claw and for anything under 35 look else where, good looking tire and good tire but for the $ you can find much better tread.

·
Registered
292 Posts
My buddie builds pro rock crawlers and he uses them alot on them, of course in the 49" and 50" versions of them and says there good for crawling on rocks but there not really good if you have to get in the mud because they don't clean out good making you get stuck! Plus there exspensive and you can get a much better tire for cheaper!! Don't know how they handle everyday driving because I don't know anyone running them like that! But good luck on your decision.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had 31" baha claws on my TJ. It was my daily ride and the tread wore down at about 40k. Aired down off road they worked well grabbing the trail. Had one problem with slipping on wet rocks, but tread at that point wasn't to good. I always rode with soft top on and no windows...with this setup having a conversation on the road was difficult...very noisy. I've now changed jeeps to a JK and my tires to the MTZs. For the money the MTZs are great on and off road and quiet, and I would recommend them over the claws.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am also looking at the mtz's. I was wanting to get the truxus mt but right now they still seem to be hard get

·
Registered
179 Posts
the mtz own i got them on a 97 cherokee sport and it goes just bout anywhere and im gettin 35x12.5 on my wrangler soon

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
I run the Baja Claws. I've been running them for the last 2.5 years. I love them. They don't wear any faster than other tires provided you take the time to rotate them regularly (back to front) and maintain proper air pressure. They're loud on the highway, but not as bad as Swampers. As for traction, they've done everything I've ever asked them to do, whether I was in mud (they clean out just fine), snow, sand, rocks, etc.

One of my best friends runs 36x14.50x15 Baja Claws (they don't make them in that size anymore) and he's got almost 60,000 miles on them. They still have over .5" of tread left on them. That's part of the reason why I bought mine, after seeing his and how many miles he'd already put on his. Stay on top of your tire maintenance, and they'll last a LONG time.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I ran a set and was not happy with how they easily tore off chunks of tread on the rocks. Other than that I thought they was great! I now am running BFG KM2's and love em.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
I ran a set and was not happy with how they easily tore off chunks of tread on the rocks. Other than that I thought they was great! I now am running BFG KM2's and love em.
I've heard that from a couple of people online. I haven't had any problems with tires chunking in the rocks. Either have any of the local guys here who run them. I wonder if Mickey Thompson was experimenting with rubber compounds?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts