Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
‘16 JKUR soft top manual. MORE engine skid. Evap Can Reloc (Dominion). Fox shocks. Otherwise stock
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a great deal on these tires. What do you think of them? I am in Pennsylvania. WFH now, so no long highway commutes. I want good deep snow capability in case we ever get some again. Also want get up to the terrain parks.

How loud are they?

How competent on packed snow. Stock BFG KM is my benchmark, so not a high bar to meet.

·
Registered
668 Posts
There's a really good youtube comparison of all season, MT and snow tires on an SUV. Quite relevant to us Jeepers. I was quite surprised to find that the MT were way worse in snow than dedicated snows. I do have a separate set of snows that I had before I started offroading and buying some Dick Cepek Extreme Countries. I do swap to snows for the winter. I also snow plow with my JKU.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
That is a very aggressive Mud Terrain tire. It is also Load Range E (about 3,200 pounds capacity per tire). I can't find any information about the snow/winter rating, so must assume it doesn't have any. Tire manufacturers that have a tire with that rating generally make sure the logo is on the web page with the tire. Mud Tires are generally noisey. I dumped my BFG KMs that came on my '17 Chief from the factory at 22K miles for just that reason. The lack of a good amount of sipping also makes them poor in wet or icy conditions. My KMs had no sipping (the little cuts in the tread blocks). From photos, the MT MTZP3s have one sipe per block. They may be good in the mud and probably in the sand, but otherwise, IMHO not too good.

The BFG KO2s and the GY Duratracs are moderately aggressive All Terrain tires and both are 3 Peak Mountain Snow Flake rated. (Good on ice and snow). They are also a quiet smooth riding tire. I have the Duratracs on my TJ and the KO2s on my Chief. After I swapped the KMs off for the KO2s, the first thing I noticed on the road away from the tire shop was the lack of tire noise and the second thing the smoother ride (both sets Load Range C, so even at the LR C level the KMs rode rougher).

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I was not speaking to the quality but to the performance in wet weather and in ice and snow. I know they are very popular in the Southwest because of the off road characteristics in the dry and rocky terrain.

·
Registered
‘16 JKUR soft top manual. MORE engine skid. Evap Can Reloc (Dominion). Fox shocks. Otherwise stock
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Finding a mud terrain in 285/70R17 in anything other than E load is almost impossible.
I was not speaking to the quality but to the performance in wet weather and in ice and snow. I know they are very popular in the Southwest because of the off road characteristics in the dry and rocky terrain.
Are they popular on Jeeps. Or mainly larger trucks.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
I was speaking about Jeeps. In the dry Southwest with a lot of loose material and sandy spots, the Mud Terrains are popular on Jeeps. In Utah Winder Towing (Matt's Offroad Recovery) uses Patagonia Milestars on his 2001 XJ that he uses to pull a lot of vehicles out of mud and sand. (Note - it a very heavily modified XJ and has scratch built a new rescue rig with a Corvair SW body - only the shell is Corvair - called the Morvair).

The point being, the tire needs to be suited for the environment you are in to be effective. Heavy lug MTs are not effective on pavement in areas that have a lot of snow and ice and you are on pavement.

The Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar comes in a Load Range D. It has the all season rating and all terrain rating but not the 3 peak mountain with snow flake rating (the Duratrac in that size does).

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was speaking about Jeeps. In the dry Southwest with a lot of loose material and sandy spots, the Mud Terrains are popular on Jeeps. In Utah Winder Towing (Matt's Offroad Recovery) uses Patagonia Milestars on his 2001 XJ that he uses to pull a lot of vehicles out of mud and sand. (Note - it a very heavily modified XJ and has scratch built a new rescue rig with a Corvair SW body - only the shell is Corvair - called the Morvair).

The point being, the tire needs to be suited for the environment you are in to be effective. Heavy lug MTs are not effective on pavement in areas that have a lot of snow and ice and you are on pavement.

The Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar comes in a Load Range D. It has the all season rating and all terrain rating but not the 3 peak mountain with snow flake rating (the Duratrac in that size does).
Oh, I misunderstood. I was thinking you meant the MTZ specifically was popular in Arizona.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hoping someone has insight into the MTZ P3s specifically, compared to other mud terrains.

Maybe they just aren’t that popular. There aren’t many reviews out there.

I know mudders aren’t good on packed snow, but I didn’t have an issue with the stock KMs, so I am comfortable driving within the limitations.

·
Premium Member
9,240 Posts
From looking at the tread, the MTZ should be better than the KMs as far as traction in adverse weather.

Reactions: Clyde45

·
Registered
407 Posts
... I do have a separate set of snows that I had before I started offroading and buying some Dick Cepek Extreme Countries. I do swap to snows for the winter. I also snow plow with my JKU.
How are the DC Extreme Countries in snow? I just put a set on my JKU and they seem great for road manners and wet roads. No mud yet. I expect to be seeing some snow and ice soon though. As with E rated tires on Wranglers, my experience has shown anything over about 28 psi (front) and the contact patch won't include the outer lugs while driving a straight line ie on pavement. I chose DC's largely due to the lighter weight and 2 ply sidewall, for an E rated.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I have them on my jeep. they were on there when I bought the jeep and have been relatively pleased with them. they have taken me everywhere I wanted them to. rocks, mud, sand, long road trips. I have also put about 20k on them and they look the same as when I bought the jeep so they wear great. however I was pretty sure they would be not to good in the snow. 1st snow last year was straight up terrifying. I immediately went searching for a set of smaller all terrains to put on some stock jeep rims I had and now run those in the winter. looks silly with the close to stock size tires and a 4" lift but way better on bad roads. I even trailered 2 sleds 5 hours up north with the smaller ones....but I won't go around the block again with the 35" MTZ's if there is snow.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,230 Posts
Wish I had seen this earlier. I think the MTZ is a great tire. Very long lasting, I had 45K miles on mine and still had about half tread left. They were great off road and okay in the snow. But maybe I cheat as I am in 4hi as soon as the roads are covered. If there is one downside they are loud, at least compared to my Patagonia's. But Pats to perform correctly run a high air pressure and I am pretty sure the MTZ will be better in the snow base on thread pattern. I will probably go with the Baja Boss

Reactions: Clyde45

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wish I had seen this earlier. I think the MTZ is a great tire. Very long lasting, I had 45K miles on mine and still had about half tread left. They were great off road and okay in the snow. But maybe I cheat as I am in 4hi as soon as the roads are covered. If there is one downside they are loud, at least compared to my Patagonia's. But Pats to perform correctly run a high air pressure and I am pretty sure the MTZ will be better in the snow base on thread pattern. I will probably go with the Baja Boss
I appreciate the review. I dilly dallied too long and missed the deal, so now they are full price. Still considering them, but am also looking at the Cooper Evolution M/T. Lighter, cheaper and reviewed well for on road and snow.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts