Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought some Mickey Thompson Baja claws and I've got 13,000 miles on them...they probably have another 10,000 on them at the most.... Is this normal for these tires? Anyone with MT'S have the same experience? I'd say they have been pretty close to half on road and have off road....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
image-2700002810.jpg

image-395310254.jpg

image-2277329832.jpg

I don't know if you can tell by the pics but they are wearing weird as hell too... All different directions... I've have not tried that chalk test but I've ran them from 25 lbs to 35 pounds and I can't get them to wear flat? It has been aligned and all the essentials checked for worn parts and such....

·
Registered
246 Posts
yes. this is normal. most mud terrain tires will wear fast and unevenly. some are exceptions to the rule. my good year mtrs are doing the same. get them balanced every time you rotate them. depending on where you bought them theyll do it for free a lot of times.

·
Commercial Member
3,962 Posts
No way. My km2's have a year on them and 12k miles and are wearing perfectly even, about 1/8 of an inch now. The key to extending the life of MT's is rotation. I rotate mine about every 8 weeks. $900 may not be a lot of money to you guys but it is to me. So i am going to take the best care of them as I can

·
Registered
337 Posts
When I was tire shopping the MT's were my other choice instead of the Nitto Trail Grappler. The guy I talked to at DT told me both were good tires but the MT's would wear much faster. I have about 10K on my Nitto's and they still look like new. I rotate them every 3k it is free at DT.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Shit I've been rotating 1500 miles ... Haha I had a pair of cheapie mud claws I don't even know what brand they were and I got 30,000 .... I like Mickey Thompson but I think I'll try a diff brand next time...

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
So you are saying that those lugs were twice the height they are now?

13K miles with 10K left...that means they are close to 50% worn...going off your pics, those tires still look like theyve got a lot of meat on them.

Are your tires wearing uneven like that front and rear or just the front?

You also say "half on road and half off road" that is some substantial offroad time...out of 13,000 miles you would say 6500 of them were not on pavement?

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I bought some Mickey Thompson Baja claws and I've got 13,000 miles on them...they probably have another 10,000 on them at the most.... Is this normal for these tires? Anyone with MT'S have the same experience? I'd say they have been pretty close to half on road and have off road....
I think you have a lot more than 10k left in them. I am not saying the KM2 is the way to go, but I have them on my dually and jeep. Over 50k on the dually and I would say I have 10k left in them. I have 30k on the ones on my jeep and I think I can get another 30k out of them

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts

13K miles with 10K left...that means they are close to 50% worn...going off your pics, those tires still look like theyve got a lot of meat on them.

You also say "half on road and half off road" that is some substantial offroad time...out of 13,000 miles you would say 6500 of them were not on pavement?
Got about 25k on my atzs.. and I know they arent mts but they are pretty aggressive and wore as evenly as an a/t could ever dream. Still got plenty of life left in them probably another 10-15k. Wouldnt drop mickey Thompson just yet but this is my opinion... I also had the mts from m/t and loved them just went with the atzs due to my uses. But the claws are single directional correct? I had trouble with my lasr set of single directionals where the guys rotating wouldnt notice and me drive on them for some miles which would wear them out rather quickly

·
Jeeper
5,096 Posts
I did my alignment with 2 tape measures,2 yardsticks & 2 jackstands.Tires are wearing fine

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
I bought the Baja Claws when they first came out (slightly different style than yours) and they wore like butter. Rode great, but 12,000 miles later I was failing inspection because they were down to the wear bar. 33x12.5R15's, ran them at 26 psi, lowered to 24 when I saw how the middle was wearing, didn't help. Won't buy Mickey's again.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Ok it might not be half but its pretty damn close... I live on Virginia , West Virginia line so there's gravel and dirt roads most of the way I travel to work...
Wearing mostly in the front but I've had it aligned twice...

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The reason I'm saying another 10k is because they are def half worn now...hopefully I'm just paranoid... I wish you guys could see them in person hard to tell by pics

·
Registered
7,667 Posts
Ok it might not be half but its pretty damn close... I live on Virginia , West Virginia line so there's gravel and dirt roads most of the way I travel to work...
Wearing mostly in the front but I've had it aligned twice...
How are your ball joints and unit bearings? Both of those 'could' contribute to the tire wear you are experiencing. From the looks of the ill wearing...it does appear to be an alignment issue.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've had the alignment checked and all the essentials underneath by a respectable shop... I've also checked them many times trying to figure out what's up... Ball joints are good ,wheel bearings good and I can't find anything bent so I'm at a loss... I'm just gonna run these out and if the next set I get does this I know something's wrong.... For right now I'm stuck because I can't figure out what could be wrong without spending a ridiculous amount of money replacing parts that might not need replaced....:/ will post back if I figure it out ... Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts