Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a chance to check out the Midland GMRS radio's, while spending 3 fun filled days at Windrock. Worked Great out of the box. What do you all prefer for trail coms?

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I just installed Midland's MXT275 with their 6db antenna in my Wrangler. I don't have much seat time with it yet so I can only say it does a great job with the weather channels, but it seems to be a solid unit and I look forward to using it. My other Wrangler has run a CB for years.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just installed Midland's MXT275 with their 6db antenna in my Wrangler. I don't have much seat time with it yet so I can only say it does a great job with the weather channels, but it seems to be a solid unit and I look forward to using it. My other Wrangler has run a CB for years.
That's great, only real issue I have run into is wtih the small hand helds, the batteries don't last the entire day, out side of that it our group of about 16 rigs no issues at using the larger models.

Reactions: lioneljeeper

·
Administrator
42,613 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
I've got a MXT 275 with the 6db antenna on the way. Should be here this week, hope to install this weekend. My TeraFlex antenna mount may not come in soon enough though.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I have used these for almost ten years. We use them as a family and each member of the family keeps one for emergency preparedness. I have an FCC license for GMRS. The process is a pain and costs $99 but it is good now for ten years. In my 2020 JLUR I did mount the Midland MXT 115 and that works fine but we have found the handhelds listed below go further. That might be an antenna issue. I have only had this mounted since Dec. If you put Duracell batteries in the Motorola they can last an entire week if you don't use them much. We have done this multiple times on long hikes in the Uinta mountains.

These are actually both FRS and GMRS with weather band. If you press the talk button on the top it goes high power, bottom of the button is low power. A lot of folks miss that in the instruction manual.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U2MHYAK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 - 6 of 6 Posts