Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I've been out of a Jeep for quite a while now but I'm looking to get back into one. I've been lurking around for a few weeks now trying to get some good info on what to look for and what to avoid. Lots of good info on here so a big "thank you" to all of you willing to impart the knowledge to everyone looking!

I've looked at a few TJs over the last week or two now and most have been fairly stock aside from tires and little bolt ons like bumpers and auxiliary lighting. Most have been fairly clean for PA but haven't worked out a deal yet. I'm heading out to take a look at this one over the coming weekend and it's the first I've ventured into with this much "upgrading" so I was hoping you diehards might be able to help me out. Again, I haven't physically seen it yet but the undercoating and bed liner in the interior raise a couple initial concerns. Asking price is $10,500... thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Rig has serious rust issues. You can see where they cut through the frame to access nutserts. Who knows what’s lurking under that thick freshly applied undercoating. Only way I’d consider that rig is if the owner stripped the undercarriage to bare metal so you could thoroughly inspect the frame.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Dayum....they covered everything with the hide a hole. Nice hack job on the frame to fix the nutsert like Blort says. Looks like they covered grease,mud and whatever was there with the undercoating. Here in my neck of the woods without the obvious rust Id offer $6500. If you buy a stocker you can tell how it likely been used. This thing was rode hard and put away wet Im guessing. You asked ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,452 Posts
id be willing to bet the tub has rust issues as well. many times when someone throws on new rockers and corner armor before sale is to cover up rust

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rig has serious rust issues. You can see where they cut through the frame to access nutserts. Who knows what’s lurking under that thick freshly applied undercoating. Only way I’d consider that rig is if the owner stripped the undercarriage to bare metal so you could thoroughly inspect the frame.
What is it you're seeing that indicates this was likely done?

While I wish my hunch was wrong, I definitely appreciate you guys confirming and shedding a little more light on the issues.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
What is it you're seeing that indicates this was likely done?

While I wish my hunch was wrong, I definitely appreciate you guys confirming and shedding a little more light on the issues.
You can see a rectangular access panel cut through the frame. This indicates the nutserts were spinning due to rust issues so the seller cut through the frame to fix. Vehicle is a mess with plenty of red flags.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can see a rectangular access panel cut through the frame. This indicates the nutserts were spinning due to rust issues so the seller cut through the frame to fix. Vehicle is a mess with plenty of red flags.
Ahhh... gotcha. Thanks for the info!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts