Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1992 yj/ford 302/np435/np205/4" lift/33's
150 Posts
Also im getting ready to start piecing together my coolant system. What radiator and hoses did you use? Looks like my factory jeep radiator inlet/outlet looks the same as the ford would use. Your setup looks great so wondering what you went with.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jimbo8v92

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Also im getting ready to start piecing together my coolant system. What radiator and hoses did you use? Looks like my factory jeep radiator inlet/outlet looks the same as the ford would use. Your setup looks great so wondering what you went with.
Yeah, the two real headaches were the coolant hoses and the power steering hose.

1. Radiator & hoses: I went with the custom radiator from these guys (Superior radiator - jeeps and wranglers) and the fox body hoses (I tried some others first and they didn't work) - although those hoses have to be manhandled into directions that they're not exactly fitted for. So far I've had no issues but it took a bit of cutting and yanking.
2. Power steering: I made this more complicated than I needed to because I was trying to avoid 'an expensive' custom hose. I tried all sorts of things but in the end I bought the Jeep hose for the rack side and then took that and the pump to a hydraulics place and they made me a hose with a new fitting on the Ford pump side for $80. NOTE! The OE Ford fitting for the PS pump is crap. I bought a whole Ford hose just for that fitting and it leaked from the start. Just jump to the end, take the pump to the hydraulics place and let them find a good fitting and put it onto the hose. I tried everything else before I went there because I THOUGHT it would be much more expensive than it was!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Yeah, the two real headaches were the coolant hoses and the power steering hose.

1. Radiator & hoses: I went with the custom radiator from these guys (Superior radiator - jeeps and wranglers) and the fox body hoses (I tried some others first and they didn't work) - although those hoses have to be manhandled into directions that they're not exactly fitted for. So far I've had no issues but it took a bit of cutting and yanking.
2. Power steering: I made this more complicated than I needed to because I was trying to avoid 'an expensive' custom hose. I tried all sorts of things but in the end I bought the Jeep hose for the rack side and then took that and the pump to a hydraulics place and they made me a hose with a new fitting on the Ford pump side for $80. NOTE! The OE Ford fitting for the PS pump is crap. I bought a whole Ford hose just for that fitting and it leaked from the start. Just jump to the end, take the pump to the hydraulics place and let them find a good fitting and put it onto the hose. I tried everything else before I went there because I THOUGHT it would be much more expensive than it was!
Awsome i appreciate that. That radiators not as expensive as i thought it would be good find. Good tip on the power steering Im still keeping my manual steering though lol will give me a workout.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Coolant Hoses:

Power Steering Hose:

Gauze in front of the MAF:
Engine Automotive engine part Pipe Suspension Suspension part

Reactions: Jimbo8v92

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Jimbo, what are you doing for wiring? I had the 302 engine harness and the YJ body harness and PDC. And I spliced them one by one... there was a lot of reading and research but in the end there are only a dozen or so splices between the Ford & Jeep systems.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Jimbo, what are you doing for wiring? I had the 302 engine harness and the YJ body harness and PDC. And I spliced them one by one... there was a lot of reading and research but in the end there are only a dozen or so splices between the Ford & Jeep systems.

Im running a carburetor and have a ready to run distributor (has a ignition box built in) so the only wires i need to make the motor run is a 12v ignition power wire (wire that gets power when the key is on) and thats it. So really im running the motor on just the stock jeep harness. I cut out pretty much everything except the wires for the coolant temp and oil pressure this way i could use the factory gauges to monitor that stuff. Its an extremely simple setup which is what i want. I do however want to put a holley efi carb replacement on it one day but there like $1500 so that will wait lol.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Okay, excellent. Do you remember how you routed your fuel pump control from ECM to the fuel pump relay? Mine’s running permanently (with ignition on and engine off) and I’m trying to figure out what I did wrong.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I left all that stuff stock jeep for the fuel pump i just putting a fuel pressure regulator with a bypass since im running the carb. Maybe try hooking a relay into the power wire you have going to the fuel pump and run a ignition wire (wire that has power with key turned on and no power with key off) to the relay so it turns the pump on and off.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Yeah, that’s exactly what I have. But the computer is supposed to only power the relay for one second unless the engine is running. I’m trying to figure out if I’ve missed something or my computer just has the pump running permanently with ignition on.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts