Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks ago, I took the top and doors off my Wrangler to enjoy the summer. Here in the southeast, Mother Nature has really enjoyed showing us her middle finger and it feels like we're living more in Seattle than Alabama with all the rain we've had. I keep her parked in my carport and when the sun finally came out on Saturday I took her out to get some touch-up work done on my ink. To my extreme dismay, there's mildew on a significant amount of the interior...on the seatbelt, steering wheel, cup holders, console cover...I'm beyond irritated.

Anyone know a good method for stopping this and cleaning it up? I guess I'm going to get her cleaned up and put the top back up and doors back on (gotta take her to the airport for a business trip next week anyway.) I don't mind a little dust or mud on the outside (character!) but the nasty inside is not appealing to me. Ideas?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Bleach. Tho not too sure you want that on your interior. But when my daughters opt to leave wet towels on the damn floor, they get a mildew smell. Adding bleach to the wash helps. Maybe apple vinegar?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will a weak bleach solution damage the finish? I tend to keep apple cider vinegar (semi-pro BBQ - it's essential!) What about Lysol spray, 409, etc?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Any amount of bleach will damage it. Try the vinegar.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,409 Posts
You need something that will kill the midew spores, use Lysol which you can buy in an aerosol can. Spraying it several times over a week's period will kill them, a single application is not likely to.

Mildew is also likely to form inside your HVAC system & make it smell. Turn the HVAC vent on, turn the fan on, and spray Lysol into the HVAC air input opening under the cowl in front of the windshield. Spray it for a good 30 seconds & as soon as you're done, turn the fan & HVAC off so the Lysol will have time to work.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jerry - any idea if the Lysol spray cleaner (multi surface) has the same active ingredient? I never use the HVAC, so I wouldn't notice that until winter - thanks for the tip there.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again Jerry!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Jerry - any idea if the Lysol spray cleaner (multi surface) has the same active ingredient? I never use the HVAC, so I wouldn't notice that until winter - thanks for the tip there.
That's helpful information. Has anyone just removed their carpets to deal with the mildew?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts