Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my sob story. I have a 92 yj, 180 thousand on the engine. I bought it from a kid I think its pretty beat. I get more than horrible gas mileage, to the tune of $40 for about 200 miles. It's got a three and a half inch lift and 31's. I am getting a little blow back of oil into the air filter, and the mechanic I use says that I need a ring job or better yet another engine. It's not blowin' any smoke, and I am confused. Does any body else think that my mechanic is trying to hose me for the engine replacement? Would a tune up do the trick or is my mechanic right? any ideas? I really hate the eight hundred a month gas bill I have, but I love my truck. Help.:banghead:

·
Registered
307 Posts
6 Cyl? Doesn't sound too far off.......

Replace O2 Sensor, especially if you have been getting Check Engine light.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
make sure the pcv valve isn't clogged that can cause the oil to blow out into the air filter.

·
Registered
130 Posts
200 miles a tank for $40 is about right. Not sure what gas is right now, deployed, but @ $3.50/gal for 15gallons to fill up = $52, And I only get around 220 miles a tank along with most people on here, so you are right in the ballpark. As for the oil, my air box has always had some oil/sticky lube which is just from the air filter, i use a K&N which I clean and recharge every oill change or after a hard dusty off road adventure. Not questioning your judgement on spitting back oil, but are you sure its engine oil and not air filter oil? Either way Id do a full intensive tune-up if it hasnt been done recently and get a second opinion on the engine.

·
Registered
406 Posts
could have plugged vacuum lines. I had an 89 that blew oil like that and it ended up having some pugged vac lines. The rigid metal ones mounted to the engine.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
so what if there is alot of blow by and your piston rings are fried, just get used to using a quart of oil every week!!!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Here is my sob story. I have a 92 yj, 180 thousand on the engine. I bought it from a kid I think its pretty beat. I get more than horrible gas mileage, to the tune of $40 for about 200 miles. It's got a three and a half inch lift and 31's. I am getting a little blow back of oil into the air filter, and the mechanic I use says that I need a ring job or better yet another engine. It's not blowin' any smoke, and I am confused. Does any body else think that my mechanic is trying to hose me for the engine replacement? Would a tune up do the trick or is my mechanic right? any ideas? I really hate the eight hundred a month gas bill I have, but I love my truck. Help.:banghead:
Why in the hell do you use a jeep for a daily driver?:confused: If you are looking for fuel economy...get a car with a 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
486 Posts
fuel mileage

I would first do a compression check,refer the manual for directions. this will rule out the obvious. My 94' with a 2.5 4 cyl., 33" tires, 4.10 gears, I get around 16 miles per gallon. Before I installed electric fan, and a home made cold air kit with a K&N air filter I was getting about 14 mile's per gallon. I am pleased with it,what else do you want? buy a prius. My 2007 GMC 2500 with 6.6 duramax turbo diesel gets 16 to 17 miles per gallon around town and as high as 22 miles per gallon on the Highway. But the the best part of that is IT HAS OVER 600 FOOT POUNDS OF TORQUE, and 345 Horse's.
I agree buy, a 4 cylinder car to run every day not a jeep for economy.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
I know tj's dont i thought yj's did matbe only early ones.:rolleyes:
There should be a metal tube coming off the valve cover, thats all it has. Pull it off and clean it out with carb cleaner, my bet is it's full of crude.

My YJ with 33s gets around 14/15 mpg. Thats with a K&N, TB spacer, header and a Flowmaster.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Also make sure your exhaust isn't being restricted. Slow exhaust can cause problems as well. I'm planning on getting a Ractive #7101 Metal core cat. I know it's marketed more for tuners but its the same as the Random Technologies unit, if you look at it, but at half the price. But you'll have to put a new port for you O2 sensor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same problem in my jeep about two weeks ago. The back blow comes from the air flow being blocked out of the engine. Meaning that your exhaust system has a block somewhere in it. For me, it was my CAT, which caved in and caused a few pieces to shoot back in to my muffler. I had to replace both but now, its running fine.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Re blow by

I got the same problem but I got a 2.5L (4 banger) and it's a 90 but recently was told either something is clogged or it will need rings. I'm just as lost as you and it's also pushing the oil out the dipstick. and your gas bill won't get better I got 33in. tires 3in. lift with 456 gears and yes its a daily driver I get 238 miles to the tank full but I swapped in a 20 gallon tank.let me know what you do to fix problem...

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a 94 yj that is doing the same thing . I check the oil everyday and its fine . It may just be some blow back . I have high oil pressure when I first start it up . But it drops off a little after I drive it a while . I get 350 miles per tank of gas and my jeep has over 160 thousand miles on it . I drive it every day . If you have low oil pressure you may need a ring job or you could have a weak oil pump . If you have high oil pressure something is clogged . With the year of your jeep I think something may be clogged . If you got it from a kid I know something is clogged....Good Luck....

·
Registered
59 Posts
Remove the oil cap while idling put your hand over the fill if you feel pressure blowing at your hand you likely have some blow by. Check PCV valve and all vacuum lines especially the one going to the pcv valve. Good strong vacuum required on that hose.
Good Luck

·
Registered
402 Posts
with that many miles i agree its probably blow by.. I have the same thing but its not bad only a quarter sized spot on my filter every 3000 miles. 135,000 on the 2.5L

Just an educated guess:confused:
The compressions rings must be worn and the oil ring must be ok on the piston. This would allow pressure past the compression rings into the crankcase but the oil rings are still keeping the oil out of the cylinders.
so no burning oil but crankcase pressure

·
Registered
35 Posts
wow i was unaware of this i guess im gonna have to check mine out. i was thinking of changing the gear ratio to get better fuel mileage but i just dont know what to change to

·
Registered
291 Posts
gas at 1.50 i put 25 in and get 200 miles. perfect for a 6cyl. and im pushing 35"s on a 5 inch lift.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts