Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey this just happened this morning....my mileage meter and trip meter are going backwards when I am driving foward. I a have never saw this happen before. Anybody have this happen to them? I was under the car changing my cat, muffler, and tailpipe 2 days if that helps with anything...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anybody?

ok well the odometer and tripometer started working correctly today....then on my way back from work they would stop for a mile or 2 then start again but only for a mile or so and then stop again and so on, so on....should i just replace the whole speedometer cluster even though my speedometer works fine? or open it up and see if any of the gear wheel inside the cluster are broken? or should i replacde the vehicle speed sensor in the transfer case?

somebody help me!!!!!!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I'm sorry, i cannot help you. I'm just very impressed and have never heard of anything like this.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
check the speedo gear on the left side of the txfr case. there are three wires. one 9vdc,one grnd and the other sends info to the speedometer. you could have dinged the wires when you worked on the exhaust.

·
Registered
37 Posts
What its down is telling you how many more miles you have on the engine till explosion Mr Jame Bond.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok my whole speedometer just stopped working now lol

i unplugged it and plugged it back in to see if it would fix the odometer problem but it made things worse. im going to pepboys on my way home after work and picking up a vehicle speed sensor.

i alos looked at the wires and they look undamaged. im hoping the new sensor fixes the issue but i guess for now ill have to monitor my speed from my GPS lol.

this sucks

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Remember the movie "Christine"? Her milage went backward also. Your Jeep is possesed. I say you send it to me with the title to excorsize it properly.

Jeff

I know, no help to ya but I had to be part of this thread.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok i feel like im talking to myself now but for all you jeepers who are actually following me here...

so the speedometer decides to work again but the odometer/tripometer are still alittle funky. but i decided to pick up a new speed sensor anyways just in case. the odometer will register id say anywhere from 5-10 miles and then stop and go backwards...i push the tripometer reset button a few times and then it seems to work again. im thinking its something in the cluster itself due to the fact that the speed sensor is calculating the speedometer correctly. i guess i opne up the cluster this weekend and see. also i thought it might be the speed cable but like i said the speed is being calculated fine..

i am having a hard time finding a new speedometer cluster online though..

o yeah by the way i love all the joking replies lol makes me laugh and put some good humor on this strange occurance hahahaha

Thanks

·
Registered
230 Posts
My 95 spedo, tac and cluster are all electronic. Guess some how voltage to trip meter maybe getting reversed? Don't know if they built in any thing to keep voltage from reversing? Amy windshield leaks or been running in the rain with top down? Maybe water problem?

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
maybe a diode that controls current directional flow is shorted allowing power to the wrong input to the speedo.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok well it has been while seen i last posted anything about my problem....but it has been doing the same thing...working when it wants and when it doesnt want to. the speedometer is fine its just the odometer and tripometer. now my question is do i need to replace the tacometer and speedometer cluster? or can i just replace the speedometer? also is there a way i can adjust the odometer to the miles i currently have on my jeep?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok well tonight while I was driving home the speedometer needle goes crazy. Going up and down then stops at zero. It doesn't move at all anymore neither does the odometer/tripometer. So what do I need to replace right away? VSS? In order for it to work?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok well this morning when I started it up and drove down my street it is working again lol. Don't know why or how but it is and I'm happy again, for the moment lol. Should I replace the VSS and cluster anyway?

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
Take it to a dealer. Otherwise you probably will end up throwing money at things that don't need to be replaced. If they try to take advantage of you, take their findings, and fix it yourself.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts