Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm shopping for a used JK, between 2007 and 2010, that's where the prices fall into what I can afford. My question is, at what mileage should I start to be leary? Today for instance, I looked at a 2007 that's essentially one owner (he bought it with 9k miles on it) but now it has 105k. I think he's being honest about his good maintenance habits, and has even serviced the auto trans and the diffs. Should I consider buying a Jeep with this many miles on it? It won't be a daily driver, but will be taken on long trips to get to trails etc.

I know the old 4.0L engine was almost bulletproof when taken care of, but what is the general experience with the 3.8L?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Nothing to do with jeeps ...

100k on a car used to be tabboo. Now it seems to be much higher, like 200k

I generally steer away from vehicles with higher than average miles (12k per year)

However, if it is a single owner and they kept good records, and you can see that some common problems were addressed (I'll let the rest of the smart folks here talk about common problems to look for), then it starts to look pretty good even with higher miles.

Also knowing the kind of miles is helpful. I drive 60 miles a day minimum and it is mostly country back roads and highway. Every time I get in the car I get it to full operating gem, which allows condensation in the engine to burn off, which helps prevent sludge. At 20k per year, I'm way over the average.

So, if you know the cars story, it isn't necessarily a bad thing for it to have high miles.

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
The 3.8 does not have the best track record for longevity. You will be a lot better off with a 3.6

·
Registered
380 Posts
I purchased my 2010 with 58k. The Issues I have had are leaking trans cooler lines. Look underneath right by the back of skid plate you should see if they leak easy. Check the fittings closely.
Another issue is the 3.8 burns/uses oil. Mine uses a quart approx every 600 mi. Those are the only issues I have had in my almost year of owning it.
One more thing try to get 2 keys. They are not cheap to get programmed. If you buy from a dealer and only get one key make it a issue.
Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing to do with jeeps ...

100k on a car used to be tabboo. Now it seems to be much higher, like 200k

I generally steer away from vehicles with higher than average miles (12k per year)

However, if it is a single owner and they kept good records, and you can see that some common problems were addressed (I'll let the rest of the smart folks here talk about common problems to look for), then it starts to look pretty good even with higher miles.

Also knowing the kind of miles is helpful. I drive 60 miles a day minimum and it is mostly country back roads and highway. Every time I get in the car I get it to full operating gem, which allows condensation in the engine to burn off, which helps prevent sludge. At 20k per year, I'm way over the average.

So, if you know the cars story, it isn't necessarily a bad thing for it to have high miles.
Yeah, I'm in my early 50's, I came from a mindset that you get RID of a car with 100k on it. But things have changed. And if you do the math, 105k divided by 9 years now, and that's actually just under 12k per year, so right on track. It just concerns me a bit because I've looked at other Jeeps in the last few months of the same vintage but with around 70k or so for miles.

·
Registered
155 Posts
The problem is you don't know for sure what the previous owner did without evidence. Like I said, I rack up some decent miles but I keep every service document, do full heat cycles, almost never sit in stop go traffic, keep it clean, don't abuse the interior, etc. My high mile are decent used cars hen it comes time to sell.

If the car looks clean and they have records, that's usually a sign that they took care of the car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts