Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I jus bought a new Sahara 2 door.. picked it up on Monday...

The avg mileage as shown on the screen is 21.3 L/100KM which is roughly 11MPG... It fluctuates a little between 23 and 19 but has not improved a lot...

Is this the kind of mileage I can expect all throughout..? Or is it jus the engine breaking in or sumthing for now..?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Maybe I'm thinking totally wrong but that should work out to about 14-11mpgs. Now that sounds a tad low most stock jks I know get 16-19mpgs which for you should be 25-30. Driving style can deeply effect economy. I don't think these engines will have a big increase if any in economy after they are broken in.

I know this didn't offer up any useful info but its all I can give til someone else chimes in.

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
billytheyj said:
Maybe I'm thinking totally wrong but that should work out to about 14-11mpgs. Now that sounds a tad low most stock jks I know get 16-19mpgs which for you should be 25-30. Driving style can deeply effect economy. I don't think these engines will have a big increase if any in economy after they are broken in.

I know this didn't offer up any useful info but its all I can give til someone else chimes in.
Agree.

The way you drive it :)

Seems to me this engine loves the highway. No matter what I do, city wise 16
mpg average (14-17)
The longer I stay on the highway that number rises a good amount.
I've had my 07 for a few weeks now. Both tanks- I had some A/C mixed in there with mostly city driving, I got 14 and 15 mpg ave.
I reset it to each tank :)

·
Registered
9,084 Posts
Do you have a lift or large tires? I test drove a 2011 JKU with 3" lift and 35" tires. They didn't regear so it had 12 mpg for the 5 mile test drive I did.

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: Way to low mileage--

I've got lift/big tires/auto/regear and I GET---16 to 19 mpg--

My '08 JKU got 17 to 20 mpg when it was new, almost three years ago--

The driving technique is one of of the main mileage setters though--so thats the cheapest, easyest check, for the first move--

Good luck

:dance::rofl: JIMBO

·
Super Moderator
53,758 Posts
JIMBOX said:
:whistling: Way to low mileage--

I've got lift/big tires/auto/regear and I GET---16 to 19 mpg--

My '08 JKU got 17 to 20 mpg when it was new, almost three years ago--

The driving technique is one of of the main mileage setters though--so thats the cheapest, easyest check, for the first move--

Good luck

If I'm rough on it, the mileage drops quick.
Baby her-deferent story :)

·
Registered
9,914 Posts
:whistling: I've only done this a few times, but if I'm going to Reno/Fallon, I'll drive at 60mph/O/D/2250 rpm and the computer says 19.9 mpg--

If I'm rough on it, the mileage drops quick.
Baby her-deferent story :)
I checked it once, at that speed, with the miles/gals used and it was actually 19.2 mpg--but

Who can drive at 60mph on todays freeways-especially if it's a DD and you're hear a big city !!

It's a jungle out there !

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm assuming its an auto. I own both stick and auto. I can get better milage out of my manual but gotta really bany her. My auto is what it is, no improvement when i baby it. If i dog it it drops fast. Please keep in mind those ttrip computers are just barely a scientific device. They will put you in the ballpark but not perfect.

·
Registered
85 Posts
:whistling: I've only done this a few times, but if I'm going to Reno/Fallon, I'll drive at 60mph/O/D/2250 rpm and the computer says 19.9 mpg--

I checked it once, at that speed, with the miles/gals used and it was actually 19.2 mpg--but

Who can drive at 60mph on todays freeways-especially if it's a DD and you're hear a big city !!

It's a jungle out there !

I left my cruise at 70mph on the freeway and still was getting passed by 90% of the traffic. Seems 75-80 is the norm when the limit is 70. I did enjoy drafting the motor homes in the slow lane though. Watched a huge motor home pulling an Avalanche climbing a hill in the fast lane running 80+. Would hate to see there fuel bill. :eek:

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
I've had my 08 for about a month now and I get around 14-15 MPG city and 17-18 hwy. I was hoping for a little better, but have read some folks get worse. I've noticed my driving style makes a difference with better mileage if I keep it in the 2K-3K RPM range.

Further down the road I might try a SuperChips upgrade to see if can squeak out a couple more MPG and a little better low end response and torque.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My '09 2dr gets about 15-16 around town, 18-19 with some hwy driving mixed in. I did notice a definite drop when I changed tires. The stock 17" tires were Goodyear SRA (a hwy tire), and the on/offroad tires I put on are slightly larger but MUCH heavier .. consequently, worse gas mileage!

·
Registered
339 Posts
my '11 JKU w/ synthetic oil(Mobil !) is getting over 16.6, 16.7mpg in the city driving very nicely if i am not watching it it will go down to 15mgg easy, i have not done any amount of hwy driving to see what i would get yet

·
Registered
798 Posts
I have not done any HW driving, but I am getting 17.7 mpg over 31 days of owning my 08 JKU. I'll take it. If I wanted good mpg, I'd have a solar powered Prius and only drive on sunny days.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts