Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I've had an idea to add some communications equipment to my Wrangler for some time now and wanted to do something a little different.

What I was interested in learning about and hopefully doing was installing a large military style whip antenna like in the picture below. I did quite a lot of reading a year ago on CB versus HAM and came away even more confused. It seems like a lot of clubs are moving away from CB, if I remember correctly.

First, where could I find these types of antennas? Second, is it possible to have them as functional antennas with modern CB or HAM radios?

And yes, I'm also doing it because I like the military look as well. :redface:

I'm new to this and even if it's not possible I'd still like to find an antenna and mount it to the Wrangler. I had no idea the site had a communications forum!!

·
Registered
694 Posts
You can find various military antenna bases (and mounts) on eBay. I just got an AS-3900/VRC SINCGARS base, it took a while to find a "decent" price. But they need modifying to work well for CB.
This might help Military Antenna Conversion Vs. 2.0
Mounting is another story. I've got my own idea, but it's taking a long time collecting parts, and finding a long enough fiberglass antenna. When it's done it'll go in my build thread, but it'll be a while (so far just pics of the base). I'm not sure my ideas will work (i.e. I can make everything work) 'till I have the parts in-hand.
But yes, it can be done. It's just more work and money then a simple antenna. But I really like the look and it fits my theme :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great! Thank you for the information.

·
Knows a couple things...
48,955 Posts
Keep in mind that it's not going to be a trivial task to get a military whip antenna properly tuned for use with a CB or ham radio so the radio will be able to transmit on it. As you can see from Super Dak's link, they require complex tuning modules to get them to work properly.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep in mind that it's not going to be a trivial task to get a military whip antenna properly tuned for use with a CB or ham radio so the radio will be able to transmit on it. As you can see from Super Dak's link, they require complex tuning modules to get them to work properly.
Thank you Jerry. I'm going to try and take this project as far as I can. Technical and financial constraints permitting!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
The problem with these antennas is that they are made to work on one frequency, (or a narrow band of frequencies). They are also made for the high frequency band (HF). Which means they won't work on VHF or UHF, so you can't use one of those Baofeng or similar Chinese imports with it.

CB radio is in the HF band, so an antenna like this will work if tuned properly or an external tuner is used. Icom makes a similar looking antenna, but it's nutso expensive and as mentioned, won't work without an antenna tuner. It covers from 40 to 10 meters on the ham bands as well as the 11 meter CB band. https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/ico-ah-2b

And if you really want to go crazy you can get this antenna :) https://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/icom-ah760-7206

·
Registered
694 Posts
From my reading, a few have had "some" success with the switchable base (MX-6707) by adjusting the settings on the base (briefly mentioned in another page from my original link). My unit doesn't have that, but it's not my plan anyways.
I also read about adjusting the MX-6707 30-33MHz tuning capacitor screw (also mentioned in another page from my original link. WF wouldn't let me post the links due to "security tokens"? But he has three different pages on it).
I just want the look, so I already gutted my base and I'm going to make an adapter plate to attach an actual fiberglass CB antenna and spring to replace the mil spring/antenna. Then just run the coax and a ground through the base. It "should" be fairly easy, in theory, but I have a habit of over-engineering things based on a firm lack of knowledge :). But getting there's half the fun?

·
Registered
694 Posts

·
Knows a couple things...
48,955 Posts
From my reading, a few have had "some" success with the switchable base (MX-6707) by adjusting the settings on the base (briefly mentioned in another page from my original link). My unit doesn't have that, but it's not my plan anyways.
I also read about adjusting the MX-6707 30-33MHz tuning capacitor screw (also mentioned in another page from my original link. WF wouldn't let me post the links due to "security tokens"? But he has three different pages on it).
I just want the look, so I already gutted my base and I'm going to make an adapter plate to attach an actual fiberglass CB antenna and spring to replace the mil spring/antenna. Then just run the coax and a ground through the base. It "should" be fairly easy, in theory, but I have a habit of over-engineering things based on a firm lack of knowledge :). But getting there's half the fun?
The use of a SWR meter will prove how well the antenna is tuned when you're done.

·
Registered
694 Posts
The use of a SWR meter will prove how well the antenna is tuned when you're done.
Yeah, I'm still a ways away from that point. I need to get the actual antenna on the base, then test its bend so I can build the mount. I have a pic of a JKU with the same base (but with the mil antenna) and when the antenna is tied down, it's in the way of the rear door (see pic). I need to adjust so that's not an issue. So I need the antenna so I can figure out how high to make the mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
If you just want the look without too much fiddling to get it to work, try a 102" CB whip. Use a big ball mount with a spring.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you just want the look without too much fiddling to get it to work, try a 102" CB whip. Use a big ball mount with a spring.
Thank you. What’s a good source or two for that type of equipment?

·
Registered
23,282 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
You also need to consider IF you do any type of club runs or off road events some will not allow the old school antennas and spring mounts. They whip around a lot on the trails and can hit people nearby

1 - 15 of 15 Posts