Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a military trailer. Can anyone recommend a model?

After purchase what is need to be road worthy? For example do I need to remove anything the"kickStand'? Do I need to rewire the brake lights ect.

ANY help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
443 Posts
Check out the Expedition Portal forum. Under the trailer section, has tons of info.
I found a M116a2 generator trailer last year and slowly converting it to a off road sleeper type camper.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you're looking for just a small weekend camper / utility try looking for a M416 or Cnd m-101.
After that it's just a matter of making sure you have the wiring harness set up if it hasn't been converted from the original military plug.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
443 Posts
This M116a2 weighed 1200 lbs. originally and as of now the the wood and aluminum skin, it's officially certified 1760 pounds and pulls really well on freeway at 70 mph. Has working surge brakes and the trailer lights has an adapter to my 7 pin harness.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I vote for the M416 or Canadian M101 a bit hard to come by and sometimes pricey. It took me several yrs but I finally found my M416 in close to perfect conditions for under $400.
Hook up with a FB group by the name: M416 & M101 Series Military Trailers

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
M1101/1102 series are lightweight with aluminum but 8 inches wider each side than the JK - 1101 are unmodified, 1102 are modified... both are essentially the same except for the 1102 mod gives it a bit heavier GW over the 1101... I know, I have one of the M1101s.

M104/106 series are not as wide, are a bit taller, but are made of steel and are much heavier - and if I recall, they use an air braking system which may require a change out to a different braking system or disabled all together

M101 and 11n/116 series are the ideal lightweight trailer for Jeeps TJ/JK but are harder/more expensive due to this fact.

FWIW, I picked up my 1101 from Ft Polk, La and drove it to DFW. Then on another trip from DFW to OKC and back... but I drive a manual, so I do not experience shifting issues on the highway.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The M101 CDN2 is the best...built tough, but can be hard to find sometimes. Worth holding out for however. I love mine.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Here is a shot of mine...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts
Your best bet is the Canadian M101CDN. They were all manufactured in 1992. They are a near identical copy of the M416. To change over to 12 volt just needs standard 1157 bulbs popped in. Northern Industries carries brake hub/drums that can convert to 5 on 4.5" or 5 on 5" for cheap.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Your best bet is the Canadian M101CDN. They were all manufactured in 1992. They are a near identical copy of the M416. To change over to 12 volt just needs standard 1157 bulbs popped in. Northern Industries carries brake hub/drums that can convert to 5 on 4.5" or 5 on 5" for cheap. http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/DREDnot1/media/DSCN6477_zpse75ff747.jpg.html http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/DREDnot1/media/DSCN0592_zps8cac2458.jpg.html http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/DREDnot1/media/DSCN6282_zps7fa785c1.jpg.html http://s1283.photobucket.com/user/DREDnot1/media/DSC_0149_zpsrka2tiyo.jpg.html
more info on hub adapters please. Can't find anything for northern industries.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is the M105A2 too big?

·
Registered
425 Posts
I am looking to get a military trailer. Can anyone recommend a model?

After purchase what is need to be road worthy? For example do I need to remove anything the"kickStand'? Do I need to rewire the brake lights ect.

ANY help would be much appreciated
What state or province are you in?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm in south Florida

·
Premium Member
3,236 Posts

·
Registered