Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a military trailer. Can anyone recommend a model?

After purchase what is need to be road worthy? For example do I need to remove anything the"kickStand'? Do I need to rewire the brake lights ect.

ANY help would be much appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Pulling with a JKU, it's a bit of a mixed bag. Some go big, others not-so-much. I'm int he latter camp as I will be traveling with my family (wife + 2 kids) and didn't want to overload too badly. It's an overland support trailer to carry tentage, fuel, water, etc.

I opted for a smaller "jeep trailer" and got a M100 (kissing cousin to the M417) for $650. It was in OK shape - mechanically sound, some rusty spots, but not much cancerous rust that need a lot of TLC. For the $500-$1000 price point this is about typical, you start finding excellent shape or even fully restored examples at the $1500-$2500 range.

Some opt for larger trailers like the M101, but those are intended to be pulled behind larger tactical vehicles and won't leave much room for cargo capacity before you max your safe tow rating.

My trailer weighs #500 and has a capacity of #500 - I only plan to carry camping gear, not a roof-top tent or anything terribly heavy, but the cargo capacity is the dynamic weight (trailering while traveling) and can certainly hold more in a static setting. It's light enough that I can move it around easily unhooked and can even tip it on it's side or flip it on its back to perform maintenance.

Some folks upgrade the axles to heavier duty 3500 dexter axles, or match the hubs to their wheel so they can share a spare. I did neither.

All I did was inspect and repack the hubs, inspect the park brake (I don't have or really need an electric brake) and clean it up a lot.
I kept the landing leg and the lights were already 12v, so I'm just rewiring them with fresh wires and connectors. I kept the ring lunette and just got a 2" shank pintle for some axis of movement, but some convert to a ball hitch or go with a multi-axis hitch.

This is a good reference:
Trailers

If you want more of a DIY, Dinoot makes excellent kits (I almost went that route) that can go on store-bought, custom, or provided-by-them trailer frames with all sorts of options. Jeep Trailer Dinoot Durable Lightweight Fiberglass Trailers.

Good luck - do your homework and let me know if you have any follow-up questions.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
You can't really go wrong with a 1/4 ton such as the M416,M100,Bantam T3, MBT, etc.

After purchase what is need to be road worthy? For example do I need to remove anything the"kickStand'? Do I need to rewire the brake lights ect.
I think you'll need to keep in mind that the trailer you most likely will find of said variant will be from the 1960's at the newest, so the answer to your question is most likely. It all depends on what condition you buy it in and if you want your trailer to be a rolling turd or not. I don't know about you, but my idea of fun isn't changing bearings on the side of the highway.

I stripped mine down to nothing. New floor, wiring, 3500lb axle, tongue, and a whole bunch of other crap. Pretty much worry free and trailers are easy projects.

·
Administrator
42,610 Posts
Agreed, the smaller trailers are best. They generally weigh a little over 500 lbs and can carry another 500 lbs of cargo. They'll be more stable both on the road and on the trail. Additionally, if you get one that hasn't been cut up and still has a pintle hook, they are better on trails, you can get a receiver to match.

If you pick up one that is 24 volt, all you need to do is change the bulbs and figure out a way to make an adapter to plug into your Jeep.

As far as the "kick stand" also called a "landing gear", that's up to you. The advantage to them is that your trailer is les likely to move around when un hitched like it would if you replaced it with a wheel.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
I am looking to get a military trailer. Can anyone recommend a model?

ANY help would be much appreciated
You can find answers to modding questions on the Steel Soldiers forum.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
This reminds me I need to pull my one side off my Bantam and replace the bearing so it doesn't wobble. That or the rim is bent. Not bad for a 74 year old trailer rim.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
You can find answers to modding questions on the Steel Soldiers forum.
Another endorsement for Steel Soldiers - I was able to do a lot of research there both before and after purchase, get cross-reference numbers (shocks, springs, bearings, etc.) as well as plenty of inspiration, ideas, and cautionary tales.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts