Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Detail Oriented
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cannot get a straight answer on this anywhere through phone calls or research online. So here is my question:

I have a 1992 Dana HP 30 from an MJ. It is the first year that this particular axle with our bracketry was used without the CAD vacuum system.

The inner oil seals are not shaped the same as the replacements by Timken. I *know* the CAD version seals differ from what we use today, specifically (if I am understanding correctly) that the driver side is the same but the passenger (vacuum side) is a different size.

My version uses two seals that are the same, R/L. However, this older axle uses seals that have that older horn-shaped lip and the replacements are the ones with the lip that curves back on itself.

Are these actually the same application? Are they interchangeable?

If so, do they use different installation tools? I cannot imagine the tools being the same.

I want to get the Miller Specialty Tools 6797 & 8110 setup because I intend on doing this to several axles and also wish to have “the right tool” on hand if any of my seals end up leaking in the future. (I like owning good tools.)

Here is a photo of a seal I removed from my HP 30 and a seal that was sold to me for my STOCK, LP 30. Also included is a photo of the Miller Tool parts I am looking at getting off eBay.

So, can the new seal be used in the old HP axle? Can the Miller tool be used to install the new seals in the old HP axle? I want to buy this tool today but am afraid of dropping the money on it only to find out that it will not work for me.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Detail Oriented
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Well, I made an offer and the seller came down in price to where I was comfortable. It is actually the Miller 6797/6798/8110 set for installing inner oil seals on both the D44 and D30.

I will assume that the new seals I have are simply a redesign of the metal shell to make it more rigid, that they are essentially an upgrade, and that these *will* fit my early non-CAD HP30. If it turns out that this is not the case I now have most of what I want (the turnbuckle tool and the discs for my D44 and a stock LP30), so I can research to find the specific parts I would need for the 1992 HP30.

I am leaving this here for the research of future users. These are the part numbers of the DC “corporate” tools used at dealerships for this job. I will post back here with a writeup on these and how (or if) they worked out for me.

·
Detail Oriented
3,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I have done that sort of thing. The seals ended up leaking. This will install the seals absolutely straight and cannot deform the steel part at all, so a very slight deformation of the rubber seal will not happen.

Unless I am an idiot... ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts