Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was under the Jeep last night trying to fimd my clunking culprit and stated puling on my exhaust. I noticed that the exhasut has alot of movement to it up at the mini catalytic converters. Is this normal, are they supposed to be able to flex?
Also, I noticed both of one of the mini's flang bolts could turn, but when turning the bolts the threaded "thingy" on the other side of the flange moves with the blot. So, the bolt isnt actaully loose but maybe not torqued down enough to make the threaded "thingy" on the back of the flange tight to the flange. What does this flange do, is it the connection to the actual manifold, can it cause an exhaust leak or is it just there as a "hanger" of sorts? I can actually feel the other side of the both (threaded end) on the back of the flange which does not have nuts (hence the reason for the "threaded" thingy). Should I torque these bolts down more and leave em'?

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
I actually just replaced the bolts in mine last week. Mine was leaking and I was loosing power and it was making a racket. I cut them out with a dremel and put in some grade 8 2.5" 3/8 bolts. Got power back and it's quiet again. The flange connects the manifold to the exhaust pipe. Don't even try to take them out, just remove the air box and the manifold heat shield and you can get at them easily with a dremel and they will fall right out. You can try getting a breaker bar on them but those tabs on top will bend and you won't be able to get a wrench on the top side anymore trust me.

of coarse a picture would help cause I think I know what your referring to except for the "threaded thingy" :)

Look up the thread "rolling r exhaust sound" is that what your talking about?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually just replaced the bolts in mine last week. Mine was leaking and I was loosing power and it was making a racket. I cut them out with a dremel and put in some grade 8 2.5" 3/8 bolts. Got power back and it's quiet again. The flange connects the manifold to the exhaust pipe. Don't even try to take them out, just remove the air box and the manifold heat shield and you can get at them easily with a dremel and they will fall right out. You can try getting a breaker bar on them but those tabs on top will bend and you won't be able to get a wrench on the top side anymore trust me.

of coarse a picture would help cause I think I know what your referring to except for the "threaded thingy" :)

Look up the thread "rolling r exhaust sound" is that what your talking about?
Thanks!. Thats the ones Im talking about. I dont think there are nuts or anything to get a wrench on above the flange, just the nut goes through the flange and onto a tab which is threaded (I suppose). They are loose, but when I try to turn them it turns the tab with the bolt so not really tightening anything. When you say remove the airbox are you refering to the air filter housing, mine is on the passenger side of the Jeep and the min cats are on the driver side. I have a 2004, 4.0L.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Yea I mean the air filter housing but I have a 4cyl i forgot that it's on the other side on the 4.0 just makes it that much easier. Cut those suckers and replace them. Shouldn't take you long. Took me an hour but I tried wrenching them out and ended up snapping the head on one of the bolts so I said screw it and did it the way I should have from the beginning. Mine had nuts with tabs so I could get a wrench on both ends, 15mm IIRC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts