Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys still new to the forum and jeeps in general. I've never driven any wrangler other than my own so I don't know if it's just a jk thing or a precursor to a bigger problem. For about the past month while driving to and from work (terrible rough roads) when I hit a patch of rough asphalt the front end does a light shimmy. Not anywhere near the violence people describe from death wobble but continues for a few seconds after the road smooths out. I haven't changed anything out lift-wise. Just replaced the stock black shocks with red rubi shocks and new 285/70/17 terra grappler g2. And yes it was wobbling before the tires were put on and they were installed at NTB who said the new tires balanced fine. It never wobbles any other time other than rough road

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
What year and how many miles? It could just be that your steering stabilizer is getting worn. Or some worn tie rod ends and/or ball joints. All of these are fairly common wear items on JKs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I should've given more info. 09 jku with 84k miles. Got it at 70k and haven't been too rough on it. Mostly trails driven to go hunting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What would be the easiest way to check for worn joints? Get a friend to turn the wheel back and forth while I watch for slack at the pitman arm and knuckles? What about a way to check ball joints?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I bought my 2010 with 76K miles on it and stock size wheels and tires. The first thing I had to do was replace all the tie rods and ball joints. Made a world of difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts