Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
See if you can find one for Marine use, it should be sealed up also.
I dont know what type your has my old 90YJ has a GM type on it.

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
The marine grade are shielded to keep from igniting fuel vapors in the engine bay after refueling.

They are not water proof.

The quality of the materials may be an upgrade though

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Yes you are so right, but if they keep vapor out they should also keep a lot of water out.

The ones built for mining do the same thing, they keep the gas vapors out and keep you from igniting a mine full of people.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's great and all, but anyone know of any similar in size to a yj alternator that puts out 140amps or more?

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Well the 140-amp is something else, My old 90 4.2 only has a 94-amp. GM type, Sorry!

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
I hope this link works.

DB Electrical - Mercruiser

These are the some of the ones that will Bolt up on My 90 4.2 YJ. and some are 140-amp.

If that's not the ones you need, go to there Home Page and try to match an app. that will.
Good Luck, and Happy Hunting!

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
You can get an alternator out of a WJ or a ZJ, they have a stock alternator that bolts right to the 4.0L (I know you have a 2.5L) and it's a 136 amp.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I already have a 136 alternator. I go through these things like crazy.

·
Super Moderator
12,701 Posts
I assume you do a lot of winching on your trips. Have you tried two batteries?
I had an old retired cop car and it had two alternators on it. Perhaps you can keep your current alternator and cobble a second one on. Different year vehicles may have the alternator bolted in a different location and you could use those brackets. If your new alternator has a built in regulator you mat be able to run the hot wire directly into the battery(s). Good Luck. L.M.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I assume you do a lot of winching on your trips. Have you tried two batteries?
I had an old retired cop car and it had two alternators on it. Perhaps you can keep your current alternator and cobble a second one on. Different year vehicles may have the alternator bolted in a different location and you could use those brackets. If your new alternator has a built in regulator you mat be able to run the hot wire directly into the battery(s). Good Luck. L.M.
I don't winch often. It is the mud. Lots and lots of mud.

·
Super Moderator
12,701 Posts
The marine alternator might be a good idea. Have you considered a sheet metal shield to keep the mud from splashing up onto/into your alternator? Simply make up a cardboard & duct tape prototype and see how that works. If it helps then fabricate one from thin sheet metal.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The marine alternator might be a good idea. Have you considered a sheet metal shield to keep the mud from splashing up onto/into your alternator? Simply make up a cardboard & duct tape prototype and see how that works. If it helps then fabricate one from thin sheet metal.
I was going to weld something together, but it would be a waste of time. I have mud everywhere. I need a sealed alternator.

·
Registered
4,757 Posts
Well, I have never seen a totally sealed alternator. The armature needs to "breathe" or it will over heat and prematurely fail. That's why there are fins on the front by the pulley, to suck air in.

I have seen guys that run mud bogs, take the fins on the alternator and flip them over on the shaft, then they are sucking air out of the alternator in stead of drawing it in. So in a sense, it would be pushing the mud away instead of drawing it thru your alternator. Maybe that would work for you.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, I have never seen a totally sealed alternator. The armature needs to "breathe" or it will over heat and prematurely fail. That's why there are fins on the front by the pulley, to suck air in.
That is why I haven't sealed one myself. It seems the marine alternator or mining alternators are my next jump. They are much more enclosed than normal alternators. Plus if I can spend an extra$100 and save myself hours of work it is worth it. Working in the engine compartment of a jeep lifted 7" or so is a pain in the ass.

No one knows which one will bolt in though?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts