Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2004 Rubicon about a week ago and just got it delivered to me 27 Jan 2012. I noticed a minor wobble when i test drove it but didnt think much of it. Now that i have it i am curious what it could be it has 2'' coil spacers (removing soon), looks like new coils and has new lower non adjustable CA's and 1.5'' TC drop(also removing soon.) My guess is it can be tires, or U joints on drive shaft also maybe the drive shaft angle is too steep? how can i tell if a u joint is bad? Have any of y'all had this problem or have advice for me thanks.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
The T case drop is to prevent vibes. LCA's to set caster preventing sloppy driving. Both nice upgrades. If only 2" spacers these two things are not really needed but nice to have. Actually does look like you have a pretty good lift there :thumb: check your track bar bolts/bushings also.
Get underneath and see if the u joints have
any play. Could be as simple as your tire losing a weight and becoming unbalanced.
I'll always recent a road force balance for bigger tires. Not all shops do it but a load is put on the tire to simulate the vehicle.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
1st thing to do is check front end alignment.. Most shops, for some reason like to set up jeeps with the toe in at 1/2 " or more.. It should be toed in at no more than 1/8" and no less than 1/16th". This is easy to do yourself, and once you learn how, you'll never use an alignment shop again... Google " Stu Olson front end alignment/ toe in". It will take you right there..

·
Administrator
30,782 Posts
I agree with kjeeper about the balance. My jeep is notorious for throwing weights and I can tell the minute it happens because of that 45-55 wobble.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fixed it

So i checked everything you guys listed (thank you) and it all checked out fine. so i swapped wheels and tires from my 02 TJ sport and put them on the rubi. now it rides great :dance:. I deflated some air in the tires that were giving me problems to 26psi. they were running the tires at 35-36 psi:eek: :nonono: :facepalm:. so i took the sport on a quick test drive and i still felt the difference but it is because of how the tires are worn. the outer and middle of the tire have about 1/8'' of tread less than the inner side of the tire.
Here is the new look.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Our 06 LJ Rubicon also has a slight wobble at 45 MPH. We had a 4" Skyjacker lift put on it when we got it about 7 months ago. The 33" BFG M/T K0's are off of or old jeep and are about 6 years old now. I know the lift is nice and tight as I had it tightened twice after it was installed. I think the tires are the reason for our slight wobble. Not enough to worry about now though

1 - 7 of 7 Posts