Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts on a good way to get rid of the white road grime/corrosion that builds up? Trying to clean it up on the mirror mounts before I spray on some bedliner to dress it up and protect it even more.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I bought a set of very corroded pre-2003 mirrors to be used with mounting brackets when my hard doors are off. I was able to completely remove all traces of the white corrosion by using my 6 inch bench grinder with a brass wire wheel attachment to remove about 99% of it, combined with sand paper to get into the small spaces that the wire wheel wouldn't hit.

I primed the bare metal and painted with satin black spray paint. They have held up for over 10 years now and still look very good. I only have a few stone chips on them today.

Using the powered wire wheel to get them down to bare metal was a huge time saver. It only took about 10 minutes per mirror to completely strip them down to good metal. If you don't have a bench grinder, a wire wheel attached to a drill would do the trick.

This mirror used to be mostly white corrosion. Here is a picture after I finished with them:

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
The best solution I found was buying OEM late model tj mirrors BUT yeah the wire wheel is the way to go... stainless works too just make sure it has fine bristles not coarse

1 - 4 of 4 Posts