Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Just a kid at heart...
14,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first chance to drive her sans doors and top. Now, I want to get a permanent mirror relocation kit. Any recommendations? Found about 15 on the web. Looking for quality, not junk.

You've already helped me with the cargo carrier. Just got a hitch extender and turned it over. Won't be any good out in the boonies, but works great on paved roads.

http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-hitch-extender-99591.html

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Only thing I didn't like about the mirror relocation kits, with the doors back on visibility sucks. I ditched the kit and got a set of Lange quick mirrors.

·
Just a kid at heart...
14,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Only thing I didn't like about the mirror relocation kits, with the doors back on visibility sucks. I ditched the kit and got a set of Lange quick mirrors.

Thanks for the input. Look like something I may be interested in. I like their roof lift also.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Warning on Lange, I like my mirrors but stripped threads on a mount after using them for two years and their customer service stinks.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I used the relocator on mine. If you can deal with really not being able to see out of the passenger mirror than you'll be good

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use a mirror relocation bracket from DieTech (http://www.dietechoffroad.com/products/jkmirrorbracket.htm) when my doors are removed. They slide into the top door hinge and use the same nut as your door plus a stabilizing flange that slides down on the middle bolt of the hinge plate. I've had it on for 200 miles over highways and rough pavement with no vibration.

Installation is easy.

1. Remove doors
2. Remove door mirrors
3. Loosen middle bolt of the hinge plate that is parallel to dash
4. Add mirrors to relocation bracket using same bolts that once attached it to door
5. Slide bracket into door hinge with the flange opening sliding under the middle bolt of hinge plate
6. Tighten the bracket bolt and the middle bolt of hinge plate

It was a piece of cake. The same mirrors are in the same location as before and you can see just as easily as when the doors are on. I have read of some people who buy an extra set of OEM mirrors and skip step 4, but it only takes 5 minutes. Plus it's easier to store the doors without mirrors.

Sadly I had to put the doors back and the top up today. The temps are dipping to the 30s and 40s at night. However, the top is going back down when we have that occasional 65 degree afternoon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey, I just ordered a 2011 JK - it comes with power heated mirrors (jeez).

I want to relo the mirrors and still run a wire so the power stuff still works. I'm good with electrical, so I just need to know if I can route the existing wire from the mirrors over and into the dash -- from there I can splice into the existing harness for the door wiring...

I like the idea of the brackets at dietechoffroad (Die-Tech Off-road Mirror Brackets) but might also do the more traditional ones that use the bolts ahead of the door opening - then the mirror doesn't have to change whether doors are on or off. This is where I've always put them before - don't mind the change on the passenger side (use a convex anyway).

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks/jim

·
I do my own stunts.
3,013 Posts
Yah, a permanent mirror relocation will yield poor passenger side visibility when the doors are back on. So it's really up to the user if the extra effort is worth better visibility.

I use the DieTech Offroad mirror brackets when doorless, and I really like them. They don't work with my tube doors on though, so I use a different mirror relocation bracket with the tube doors.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Ditch the relocation brackets n go with what i did... I just bought two 2" round blind spot stick on mirrors n put one on each of the outter AC vents... The 2" mirrors will fit perfect and your vents are unaffected... Still spin every way... The visibility is decent, not detailed but you can definitly see whats in the next lane... Only $5 at any auto store i might add, and they never have to be removed... Ill try to get pictures up soon...

·
I do my own stunts.
3,013 Posts
Ditch the relocation brackets n go with what i did... I just bought two 2" round blind spot stick on mirrors n put one on each of the outter AC vents... The 2" mirrors will fit perfect and your vents are unaffected... Still spin every way... The visibility is decent, not detailed but you can definitly see whats in the next lane... Only $5 at any auto store i might add, and they never have to be removed... Ill try to get pictures up soon...
That's an awesome idea! So simple! I wonder if it's enough to keep the cops happy though.

·
Just a kid at heart...
14,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I realize it's not permanent but it's easy.

Here is a picture of the jeep, then a close up of the bracket sliding off.
I will look into these. I'm a mirror driver. I was taught how to use all three in the beginning, and I'm not comfortable not having them. The one time I drove without doors, or mirrors, really stressed me. To used to that 3 point scan while driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
For my '11 with the power/heated mirrors, I exchanged email with the guys at RuggedRidge (looks to me like they make the Mopar OEM bracket!) and they told me that if I drill a hole through the bracket and through the Jeep I can run the wire through and maintain my power features.

I might see if I can run the wire in the little space that exists and go underneath the bracket and into the door opening before I warm up the drill - can't be much room needed for the wires..

/jim

·
Registered
396 Posts
Interesting idea, i did that to my motorcycle to get extra visibility while "laying it low" in the turns--works like a champ on the bike!

I'll have to check it out on the TJ asswell - hahaha!

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
I don't understand why Jeep doesn't attach the mirrors on the panel just below the spot where the "Trail Rated" emblem is on each side with enough rise for the driver to see. In that spot, doors on - doors off - windshield up - windshield down... doesn't matter. Is there a reason why mirror hardware cannot be attached there?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I don't understand why Jeep doesn't attach the mirrors on the panel just below the spot where the "Trail Rated" emblem is on each side with enough rise for the driver to see. In that spot, doors on - doors off - windshield up - windshield down... doesn't matter. Is there a reason why mirror hardware cannot be attached there?
The mentality of the JK designers. :nonono:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts