Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 JK Unlimited 150k miles

I had been getting evap system codes via CEL and then GASCAP dash warning for a couple of months. Tried changing fuel cap, to no avail. Started with evap canister, replacing it yesterday. All codes and GASCAP warning went away.

24 hours later, after Jeep had just run fine 30 min before, I get flashing CEL. Pull over and run codes: p0201 - Injector circuit/open on number 1. Pending codes for p0455 (large evap leak), P0301 (cylinder 1 misfire), and P0138 (O2 Sensor high voltage).

It seems to me the repair yesterday has to be related/cause of p0201 today. No symptoms or rough ride, no odors, no smoke - nothing. IS that possible?

My hunch is now that I have a fuel pump or filter problem. Could that have caused the evap problem and is now causing misfire problem?

What is my next step? Fuel pressure test? Check the plug? Swap the injector? Before I do the latter two, I wondered it it's fuel system and to just start there, which means the shop. I don't have any spare time to get under the hood in depth this week!

If it matters, the plugs, wires, and coil pack were all replaced 10k miles ago or less when I bought the Jeep used. Ran Seafoam through it back then, too. Not consuming a lot of oil or coolant when I check levels. I have a small upper pan leak that is on my to-do list, but otherwise the thing runs great.

Thoughts? Where to start?

Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So here's the update. Turns out the codes were caused by different problems that were apparently coincidental. The evap leak was traced to that annoying broken plastic piece on the top of that tank that I've read so much about. And thanks, Chrysler, for not making a repair or replacement for that part. I had to swap out the entire tank. But, evap code went away, and it had been getting worse and would have been a problem.

The misfire code was intermittent. It would not misfire on a cold startup no matter how far I drove it. But if I drove it cold, parked it hot, and let it sit for 20-30 min, when I restarted - immediate misfire and rough running. It had to sit all the way to cold engine temp to get rid of the misfire.

I was able to confirm it wasn't the wires, the coil pack, or the spark plug, which made the injector the next likely culprit. When I got into the upper plenum and pulled the fuel rail, the injector on number one was in bad shape. In fact, three of the injectors didn't come clean out of their holes and weren't much better than number one in terms of wear and dirt. So, I changed all six for new. I had read (on this forum?) a person with the same motor say he had done it one injector at a time, and after his fourth one he wished he had done them all at once. So that's a win in my book - just to have them done. With the new injectors installed an everything buttoned up, no rough idle, no misfire, no codes with warm or cold start.

The 02 Sensor is still showing as a pending code. I have a replacement and will keep an eye on it. It's right hand side downstream. I may just swap it out now while I have the fender lining out (needed to access the EGR tube lower bolts...nearly rusted on). Annoying to have to deal with all of this on my daily driver, but I have learned a lot about this motor doing research. Now to replace valve cover seals and my upper oil pan seal... It's always something!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts