Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1997 TJ Iron Squirrel
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been getting this error code for awhile now (also the "multiple misfire and incorrect purge routing, but I've been told the multiple code pretty much goes with any misfire code) and have done the following to try and fix it:

1) Replaced spark plugs and gapped correctly.
2) Replaced spark wires.
3) Replaced cap and rotor

I'm pretty much down to only the coil or distributor left to replace in the ignition system to fix this problem and am not keen on spending anything else if I can avoid it. The cap does have some loose terminals though - could that be it?

Is there anything I'm overlooking? I know these things can be elusive but with almost all new parts I thought it would be fixed by now.

·
Registered
446 Posts
If the code is specific to cylinder 1, I am doubtful it is the coil, as that is not cylinder specific. It is the cap and rotor that distribute the power to each cylinder. Where you have replaced the cap, rotor, plugs and wires. There are a few other options I see. First of all, do you feel the misfire? Is it all the time? A misfire is not specifically caused by the ignition system. You could also have a clogged/dirty injector, a compression issue with that cylinder, a faulty knock sensor. If the code consistently returns for cylinder 1 only. Try swapping that injector with another cylinder and see if the code follows it. If it doesn't you may want to try a compression test.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts