Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I let a friend borrow my TJ and it came back leaking radiator fluid. Looks like it blew the bearing on the water pump. Every video or discussion I see on removing the fan shows a large nut that unscrews the fan. From what I see, that appears to be missing on mine. Maybe that’s how it broke to begin with? I just see a shaft going into the pulley and four bolts holding the pulley onto the water pump. Any ideas on how to get this thing off of there without that nut? The whole fan is rocking back and forth which leads me to believe that bearing is bad. Trying to include image.
3E13391F-FEA7-4459-9287-D2E742E09195.jpeg

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Bad water pump bearing.

Just remove the 4 nuts and the fan/clutch assembly comes off. This is the older style mounting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. Thanks! So just because I’m curious and am claiming ignorance, did the earlier TJs come with this style and they just changed later? I am wondering if somebody did this after market. I am the third owner. It’s a 97 so... pretty early TJ.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
The 97s are similar in some ways to the YJs. That is how my 92 YJ is mounted.

It's actually easier to deal with than the large nut style.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts