Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shop did the teraflex adjustable tire carrier for me (as part of a bigger job). Believe some pieces look to be missing from the kit or during install process. Any idea what jeep or teraflex pieces these are?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
the spare rubber bumper goes in the hole that is in the tailgate and there are little rubber plugs from teraflex that go in the hinge threaded holes like the one that is in the center hole. They actually just started including them in the last year or so.

·
Gone Fishin
403 Posts
That pic of the wiring on the outside of the grommet looks very bad! The wires are against the steel of the tailgate. Not a good idea at all.

I ran RG58 coax for an antenna through the existing grommet by pulling the brake light wiring hard to one side then "side drilled" the grommet to allow for more room inside without breaking through the inner rubber. Be cautious, so you don't rip up the brake light wiring.

If you need to add a grommet to an existing harness, it is A-OK to split it to wrap around the harness before inserting into the thru hole. A small, flat screwdriver or other similar tool aids in getting the inner flange of the grommet past the hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
The OEM rubber tire bumpstop fills the large oval hole that isn't covered by the Teraflex hinge. If you remove it, you'll need to go get some hole covers. I found mine at Ace Hardware. I think they were 1/2" but can't remember exactly.

It looks like you had at least one of the rubber hole caps for the hinge, there should be two more for the other threaded holes.

As ChrisNW mentioned, you need to fix those wires.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Just ditched the spare tire carrier. Picked up the plastic plug kit off eBay for less than $6 bucks.
Just cut a slit halfway into the rubber plug and move your wires to the center. The thin rubber in the center seals pretty well around the wires.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just ditched the spare tire carrier. Picked up the plastic plug kit off eBay for less than $6 bucks.
Just cut a slit halfway into the rubber plug and move your wires to the center. The thin rubber in the center seals pretty well around the wires.

I just contacted Teraflex and they shipped out a ton of rubber plugs. Working on fixing the wires as well. Thanks for the spot!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts