Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If any one has read a bit on DW, the obvious is not always obvious.
After I gave the JEEP to my grandson, he started to experience the world famous death wobble. So, with that, early this past summer, I was at his place, so I loaded the JEEP on a trailer and brought it down here to sunny AZ. During the wonderful AZ summer heat, I didn’t really mess with much. But, now that it has cooled down a bit, I started getting serious with it. I was under it, having a friend work the steering wheel, looking for ANYTHING that could possibly be loose, or have excess play in it. NOTHING!!!!! NOPE!!!!!! Well, doing some serious head scratching, there was one possibility that was not obviuos. The “heavy duty” tracbar had a large rubber bushing at the end where it connects to thew frame. Since the rig has a heavy tire wheel assembly ( 37-12.50-17 Goodyear MT/R with Staun internal beadlocks); I thought MAYBE the rubber is giving enough to allow the DW. OK, said rubber bushing cam out, showing no real signs of wear, but still........

So I went to work and created this little jewel

Pressed it into the eye of the tracbar, the inner bushing having .004 clearance, and is .010 longer than the outer bushing. Note the grease channel and holes for lube to get to inner bushing. Bolted everything together, torqued everything down to spec. NO MORE DW!!!!!!!! For now, any way!
Note.....all JEEPS have DW, it is just that on some it is controlled, and some it is not!!!!! LOL
After all this was said and done, I installed a new FOX steering stabilizer on it. Fabbed up a high mount where it shouldn’t get bashed up right away!

Attachments

Reactions: foggy47

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^ Nice work Don. Do you need someone to test that out for you? Grin.
I am headed out right now for a little test drive!!!!!!! Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,702 Posts
As long as your new joint allows the required flex. Some aftermarket track bars use a rubber (ish) bushing. Others use a heim joint, a Johnny Joint, or the like. Whatever it is, it needs to be able to move in multiple directions. As the suspension moves up and down that joint has to rotate in the obvious direction but it also has to allow movement front to back as the axle moves a little front to back as it moves up and down.
I would be surprised if DW was caused by having a rubber bushing there. There are thousands of track bars in use with a rubber bushing there.
Double check for an ovaled out bolt hole for that bushing.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, guys......the other end, where bar attaches to the axle IS a heim joint. If there is ANY evidence of mine binding, it will be replaced with a heim joint; but what fun is just buying something off the shelf?

And to be clear, the rubber bushing did not CAUSE DW, but rather ALLOWED it.
As stated in my post, DW in a JEEP is either CONTROLLED or it is NOT. All Jeeps have it. Just their nature. And what works for one rigs may not work for another, as stated, I have a quite heavy tire/wheel assembly. It is all in the harmonics and physics of a CERTAIN combination of all components together. What works for one may not work for another. DW can be a real bitch to conquer sometimes.

I just made about a 40 mile round trip, crossing 6 cattle guards at critical speeds.....all good!
And thanks for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts