Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 JK built to order and delivered to me. Currently have 29,000 miles on it. I noticed the coolant in the reservoir is below the MIN line. According to the owners manual I need "Mopar 10 Year/150,000 Mile Coolant Formula OAT". So I ordered Part number 68163849AB. It is PURPLE in color.

I never bothered to check what the coolant levels or color were when I first acquired the vehicle. I've read every thread on here about the 2013 coolant fiasco and the perils of mixing OAT and HOAT, so as a precautionary measure I took a sample from the reservoir, and it appears to be more PINK in color. I have attached pictures to illustrate. Left side is new coolant I bought. Right side is a sample from my reservoir.

My primary concern is that maybe I have HOAT coolant in the system and I don't want to go in and mix in the OAT coolant I just bought. My questions are:

1. Can I safely add the PURPLE coolant into the reservoir mixing it in with the PINKish coolant? I don't know if the existing coolant in the reservoir is OAT or HOAT.
2. Can coolant really change color over time? Some threads on here seem to suggest it can.
3. Is coolant added at the factory, or at the dealer during the PDI?

An older thread that most resembles my dilemma, but doesn't answer the aforementioned questions: Wrong Coolant from the Factory?

Attachments

·
Registered
925 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually post# 12 of your linked thread does provide the answer.

You can also read the same info on page# 4 of the following link:
http://starparts.chrysler.com/newsletters/newsletter_Oct_2012.pdf

That purple is simply a dye that wears off over time.
Hi. I saw that post, and the linked PDF. I should have mentioned that my coolant looks more like the lower left picture which is supposed to be HOAT. The upper right looks a bit more orange to me. Although I admit it can be hard to discern what the actual colors are in the PDF, in comparison to reality

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Coolant can change color over time.

While anything's possible, the wrong coolant was likely not added at the factory- they haven't used HOAT in some time, so it's not like they've got pallets of each side by side. It's most likely a bulk tank there, so filling it with the wrong coolant would have been noticed by someone, and affected a batch of vehicles, which again would have been noticed.

When in doubt, flush.

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
As mentioned, they could not have put the wrong coolant in at the factory as the only coolant they have in the factory is the right coolant. The color can change, and it can look different colors in different light and different containers. But your VIN tells you what coolant to use and using any other coolant would be using the wrong coolant.

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
If in doubt, better to flush the system the refill with the coolant mix of your choice.

Reactions: Lost in the woods

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As mentioned, they could not have put the wrong coolant in at the factory as the only coolant they have in the factory is the right coolant. The color can change, and it can look different colors in different light and different containers. But your VIN tells you what coolant to use and using any other coolant would be using the wrong coolant.
Thank you for the reply. Agreed - Presumably they would have added the correct coolant at the factory (if that's where it was first added). Hence my #3 question. I really never bothered to stop and think at what step this occurs. I know some things happen during the Pre Delivery Inspection, but didn't know if adding fluids was one of those things.

So if this is indeed OAT coolant that was added at the factory, and it somehow changed color over 29k miles - Is it OK to add the purple pre-mix MOPAR coolant to my reservoir?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If in doubt, better to flush the system the refill with the coolant mix of your choice.
I'm hoping to avoid that at this moment if possible. But I do appreciate your detailed instructions and pictures you have stickied at the top of this forum, if it comes to that.

·
Registered
845 Posts
It looks like OAT to me. My HOAT is orange in the jug and in the overflow res. I highly doubt the factory wouldn't have put the wrong coolant in there on the assembly line.

·
Super Moderator
6,809 Posts
Thank you for the reply. Agreed - Presumably they would have added the correct coolant at the factory (if that's where it was first added). Hence my #3 question. I really never bothered to stop and think at what step this occurs. I know some things happen during the Pre Delivery Inspection, but didn't know if adding fluids was one of those things.

So if this is indeed OAT coolant that was added at the factory, and it somehow changed color over 29k miles - Is it OK to add the purple pre-mix MOPAR coolant to my reservoir?
That is what I do with our 2016 (which also came with OAT coolant).
The coolant is put in at the factory, not by the dealer during "PDI". Good thing, to. Because as bad as some dealers are if putting in the coolant was up to them there would be plenty of stories about how someones brand new Jeep had no coolant in it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts