Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of BFG KO2's 9K miles on them that are "E" load rated (LT285 70R17 is available in both C and E load rating). One of my rear tires sustained sidewall damage and I need to replace. My plan is to put the spare into service, buy a new tire, put the two new tires up front and rotate two front tires with about 11/32 tread to the rear, and make my good rear tire the new spare.

I found someone selling same tire, same size, with only 600 miles on it (looks new in pics) on craigslist for $100. He's selling it because it's load rating is a "C" and he bought it by mistake needed an E rated tire, I guess for a truck. I know my '04 Rubicon doesn't need an E rated tire, previous owner put them on. My question is, will it cause problems for me to run three E rated tires and one C rated tire? The C rated tire weighs about 7 lbs less than the E.

Another craigslist option is a guy selling 5 BFG K02, the right size, and load rated C for $700. They're take-offs with 1K miles on them. So I'm asking for opinions and advice. Buy the one C rated tire for $100 and rotate it into the mix, buy 5 "almost new" ko2 C rated tires for $700?

I would really like to be able to spend $100 and call it good, but I don't know about mixing the load ratings, mostly because of the weight difference between C and E. My jeep is a weekends only vehicle, and only sees pavement on the way to and from the nearby mountains or desert.

·
Super Moderator
23,227 Posts
I would not run a 2 different load rated tires.

·
Super Moderator
15,156 Posts
Not a good idea... It would be less of an issue on the rear, but I wouldn't want that on the front at all.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm somewhat in the same predicament.
I have 305/70/16 "D" load.
The tires that I have, have been discontinued and I the replacement is an "E" load tire. I probably only have 20K miles (if that) on the tires - 5 tire rotation every oil change.

One tire got a nail in the sidewall and can't really be patched. So I was planning on buying 2 new tires and placing them in the back.

Just curious why this would be an issue.

Appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Beyond the weight difference the stiffer sidewall may cause handling issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts