Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my Jeep last summer and hadn't had much time to add to it or modify it. When I bought my Jeep it was a pretty much bone stock JK Unlimited X with a few Quadratec bells and whistles on the inside and an atrocious Smittybilt sissy side bar on the outside. While this was a little disheartening I saw a metal tub of opportunity. The picture below was taken the day I got her.

The first mod I made was to mount some Pro Comp 7" Slim Driving Lights on the windshield with some Quadratec mounts and throw on a KC toggle next to the steering wheel. Recently while at work I ran into a guy with a 2008 Rubicon Unlimited that was trying to get rid of some stock wheels he had from when he purchased his Jeep. The wheels look to be from a Sahara instead of a Rubicon but I needed new tires and picked up the set of 5 like new tires and wheels for 1/3 of the price of the Nitto Terra Grapplers I was looking at. Anyway, I put the new wheels and tires on and liked the look.

Not too much of a change.

This week I added a Rampage Products stubby bumper to the front to give it a more aggressive look and I couldn't be happier! I hit the D-Rings with some Rustoleum rattle-can yellow and they look great.

I took off those hideous sissy steps and now it looks even better!

The plan is now to DIY trim the stock fender flares and either restore them with some 303 Aerospace Protectant OR if that doesn't work try to put some spray-on bedliner on them. A lift kit is in the future because I need to level it out. The pictures might not show how much it sags in the front but in person it's pretty noticeable. As time goes on I will keep modding to meet my needs on and off road. I appreciate your time for reading through this and will keep the thread updated as I continue to work.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just found out my Antenna X shorty 13" antenna is at home waiting for me. I will put that on when I get home and post pictures. Also need to start thinking of a name...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Couldn't wait to get home to put on the new Antenna X stubby and get rid of that janky stock antenna. It looks better and doesn't scratch up my lights!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blackout

So this afternoon I had some free time and it gave way to the "mod bug" I stopped by Lowe's on the way home and picked up all the things I needed for the cheap grille guard mod and some plasti dip for my grille and Pro Comp lights. I took some before pics and will post those here and the after pics for each mod.

Grille before the dip

Didn't care for the silver bezel on the lights

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took off the light bezel and put 3 coats of plasti dip on them and it made a world of difference. I can't believe how awesome the bolt on parts look when painted black. The stock parts too for that matter. I waited for about 2 hours for the bezels to dry then put them back on.

It's hard to see here but in when I post the other "afters" it gets more clear to see.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I decided to add some plastic gutter guard in the voids on the grille for aesthetics and to keep the bigger leaves and bugs out. I got the idea from the cheap mods thread and it made a huge difference. I took off the grille and washed the front and the back with degreaser so the cable tie mounts would adhere and the plasti dip on the front. So here are the things I picked up for the guard

Then I used the JB Weld plastic epoxy on the mounts to adhere them to the grille because I read the standard double stick tape wasn't very good. After sticking those on and cutting the gutter guard here is what I ended up with

I waited for the plasti dip on the grille to dry before I did the guard mod. So once that was all done I just had to put the grille back on and I was done. All said and done it took around 4.5 hours from set-up to tear down. Productive day and everything looks great! Now for more picture goodness

The grille guard mod

Here is a good before shot

And after

Thanks for looking!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Trimming the fat

I pulled the trigger and decided this weekend would be the weekend I trimmed the stock fender flares. I got some 3/4" LED marker lights from amazon for $22 shipped. I had to buy 2 because they are sold as individuals, no biggie. Some people on amazon were upset because the packaging says 3 LEDs but thats on 1 light. Anyway, getting back on track, I have the tape to mark my cuts, an idea of the shape I want and the rest of the tools I'll need. I'll post pictures of the project when I finish up tomorrow. Link to the lights is here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NS8Z2C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What the lights look like out of the box

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just finished up the fender trim. I started this morning around 9:00 and finish around 3:00 this afternoon. I was working rather leisurely and soldering new LED marker lights on instead of just using the regular crimp connectors. All in all I feel like the project turned out well. I am thinking about trimming it out with some of the door trim others have used on their builds. I took out the fender supports on the front to get the cut angles I wanted and also to just have a bigger area. Now for the pictures!!

I had to trim the rear bumper a little to get the lines I wanted, I'll be getting a replacement soon enough so it wasn't a big deal to me

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Getting back to it

So I've been itching to do more to my Jeep since I last trimmed the fenders and added the LED marker lights. I was extremely busy over the summer and didn't have time to upgrade my Jeep between starting a new career and relocating I am just now getting settled and can start turning money into Jeep parts again. I recently picked up the following goodies, it has been a fantastic week :awesome: here is a list of what I've done in the past 2 weeks:

BF Goodrich T/A KO2 33x11r18
Smittybilt XRC Flat Fender Flares (looks way better than my DIY job)
Wild Boar Grab Bars for the cabin, front driver & passenger
These goodies were already installed and I will be posting more pictures hopefully tomorrow

Next is the list of items I ordered per the most popular lift setup on WF. I found the thread and did my research and ended up going with the TeraFlex 2.5" lift without shocks. I decided to get Rancho 5000x shocks for the front and rear and am currently impatiently waiting for those to come in. Everything else for the lift is in my living room waiting to be installed. The list goes like this:

TeraFlex 2.5" Coil Lift w/o Shocks
Rancho R5000x Shocks
Rock Krawler Bomb Proof Adjustable Front Track Bar
Rancho Front Control Arm Correction Brackets
Northridge 4x4 Grade 8 Bolt Upgrade Kit
SpiderTrax 1.5" Wheel Spacers

Here is a picture of everything listed above minus the shocks as those are still in transit

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update on build

Here is an update of what I have installed so far. First off, I noticed some negative reviews of the Wild Boar/Welcome Distributing Grab Bars and want to give my two cents on them. I read where some people had issues with the visor not being able to be pulled down all the way or not being able to push the visor to the side. I haven't had any issues with my Wild Boar grab bars so far.

Now on to pictures of the new fender flares, BFGs, and my CB antenna. I mounted it to the spare tire carrier. I mounted the radio on the passenger side upfront under the glove box.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
New Wheels! Kind of...

I sprayed my wheels with black plastidip yesterday afternoon to get rid of the glossy silver wheel color and tie everything together. The black wheels make such a monumental difference! I love the way the Sahara wheels look and wanted to keep that design but wanted black wheels so I went to Home Depot and picked up 2 cans of plastidip. I had enough for 4 coats on each wheel with a little left over in one of the cans. This will help me decide if I want to get the wheels powder coated or if I'll just keep rattle canning the wheels. Anyway, now for the good stuff

Thanks for looking!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts