Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm adding a 1.25" BL to the TJ and I'm going to add a 1" MML too. I also need to replace the trans mount because of a broken bolt. I need to some opinions on rubber or poly for these pieces.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,614 Posts
X2, go with rubber for that exact reason. Which is why automotive manufacturers stick with rubber mounts, poly mounts transmit vibration that rubber doesn't. Rubber mounts generally outlast the vehicles they are installed in, contrary to what the polyurethane mount manufacturers would like you to believe.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured that the rubber would dampen vibrations much better, I just wanted some opinions. Any opinions on which MML and trans mount to purchase?

·
Knows a couple things...
49,614 Posts
I'm a fan of the M.O.R.E. (Mountain Off Road Enterprises) "Bombproof" rubber mounts, they are massive and look like they'd live up to their name. Brown Dog makes a good set of mounts too. No preference for the transmission mount so long as it's rubber.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I did Brown Dog poly engine mounts. Added vibration was negligible and borderline non-existent off idle.

Later did a poly trans mount. Never again. Ran it for about two weeks and put my 90,000 mile stocker back in.

Some say you need to stick with either all poly or all rubber at all 3 points. I am not convinced that's a true statement. Time will tell.

Would I go poly Brown dog mounts again? Probably not but they are in there and they work. If I would do it again I would try the slightly higher priced Brown Dog mounts with the ultra flex rubber in lieu of the poly mounts.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info all.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's see if I have this right. I currently have a 2" BB with no vibrations. I want to add a 1.25" BL. I believe that the BL may introduce some vibrations. I also see that BL's require some kind of fan shroud mod. So if I understand correctly, I can pass on the shroud mod and just install a 1" MML to kill two birds with one stone (possible vibs and shroud mod). Sound reasonable to all of you?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't think the body lift will give any vibes, but does make it so u don't need shroud mod.I just installed ultraflex brown dog motor mount lift yesterday and so far am very happy, no vibes, fast shipping and a discount for being a forum member

·
Registered
389 Posts
Desert- What do you think of the Brown Dogs? I installed the super flex rubber 1" last week on my 2.5. Gotta say, definitely have a lot more harmonic vibes in the cabin than the OEM mounts. I would hate to feel the poly's!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't think the body lift will give any vibes, but does make it so u don't need shroud mod.I just installed ultraflex brown dog motor mount lift yesterday and so far am very happy, no vibes, fast shipping and a discount for being a forum member
How long did it take to install and did you install it by yourself?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Desert- What do you think of the Brown Dogs? I installed the super flex rubber 1" last week on my 2.5. Gotta say, definitely have a lot more harmonic vibes in the cabin than the OEM mounts. I would hate to feel the poly's!
I love em so far, all my vibes I've had are gone after installing these brown dogs, the little vibe I had I thought was normal until yesterday. My engines a 4.0 and I thought I read vibes are more present in a 2.5 on Brown Dogs website or a thread owner posted, have u checked and made sure they're not over tightened

·
Registered
163 Posts
How long did it take to install and did you install it by yourself?
I didn't really time myself, maybe a hour and a half ? I got the luxury of using my bro in laws mechanic shop, so jeep was up on a lift, and he's got every tool u can think of to make jobs easy,( and no he didn't do it for me lol, he was working on his sandrail in a different bay). Its a pretty easy job, just don't forget to loosen trany mount.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Yep, everything is torqued like it should be. Used the all steel lock nuts like they say for the through bolts. Still don't like the idea of them being so loose that you can spin the washers but obviously other people run them that way with no problems.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Had factory ruber, went ot poly, went back to rubber. Have a poly on I will give to someone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts