Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be in Moab from September 6th to the 13th and then in Ouray from the 13th until the 20th.

While in Moab, I have to work on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday but plan on doing trails Monday and Friday. I put my wife into an offroading school (Barlow) on Saturday (12th) so that will tie up a large chunk of our day. On Sunday 9/13 we head to Ouray but we could do a short run in the AM.

I am on vacation for the week that we will be in Ouray. I hope to do trails most of that week.

We are pretty new to 4 wheeling. We are more about seeing the sights than we are about conquering the hardest obstacles. I do not mind doing hard trails as long as there are bypasses for the spots that are above our ability and built (2" lift & 33" tires.)

If anyone wants to join us or has ideas for trails for us to do, let us know.

-B

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,871 Posts
Best part of going in late Sept or early Oct is the Aspens will be turning and there will be fewer folks out on the trails. I am doing opposite of you. e in Creede, CO Sept 24. Leave for 2 days on Stony Pass and Imogene into Ouray. A night there and off to Montrose for a night and then 3 days on Rim Rocker into Moab. I'm staying a few days in Moab to explore alone. Buddies cant get the same amount of time off I can. 12 days with my dog and no distractions. Unless I break something!

Reactions: Brokedown56

·
Super Moderator
6,804 Posts
Close.
We are planning on being in Moab from around the 16th to the 23rd.
I really suggest getting the Funtreks books by Charles Wells. They have one for Moab, and one that covers the Ouray area as part of Colorado.
Those books have a three level ratings system; Green, Blue, and Red. A stock Jeep can easily do Green trails or Blue trails, and probably half the red trails.
Some suggestions for Moab trails (from the book). Onion Creek / Fisher Towers, Chicken Corners, Dome Plateau, 7 Mile Rim, Fins and Things, Hells Revenge (don't let the name scare you), Elephant Hill.
Some suggestions for Ouray (also from the book). Engineer Pass / Cinnamon Pass (known as the Alpine Loop), Imogene Pass, Black Bear Pass (can be done as a loop down to Telluride and back with Black Bear down and Imogene back), Ophir Pass, Last Dollar Road.
But there are so many great trails out there. Onion creek is so easy you could do it in a rental car. But it is amazingly scenic. I think 7 Mile Rim is my favorite trail out there so far, but there are plenty I haven't done yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We will be in Moab from September 6th to the 13th and then in Ouray from the 13th until the 20th.

While in Moab, I have to work on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday but plan on doing trails Monday and Friday. I put my wife into an offroading school (Barlow) on Saturday (12th) so that will tie up a large chunk of our day. On Sunday 9/13 we head to Ouray but we could do a short run in the AM.

I am on vacation for the week that we will be in Ouray. I hope to do trails most of that week.

We are pretty new to 4 wheeling. We are more about seeing the sights than we are about conquering the hardest obstacles. I do not mind doing hard trails as long as there are bypasses for the spots that are above our ability and built (2" lift & 33" tires.)

If anyone wants to join us or has ideas for trails for us to do, let us know.

-B
Hey there, I just got to moab. Passing through on a trip up from austin to see my parents and work remotely for a while due to covid. I grew up wheeling here and would be happy to take you on fins and things or something similar, easy but still interesting. I'm staying at the KOA with my little camper. Could totally wheel tomorrow, Monday. I'll DM you.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey there, I just got to moab. Passing through on a trip up from austin to see my parents and work remotely for a while due to covid. I grew up wheeling here and would be happy to take you on fins and things or something similar, easy but still interesting. I'm staying at the KOA with my little camper. Could totally wheel tomorrow, Monday. I'll DM you.
We are doing Chicken Corner this morning. We are pretty new and Barlow said this would be a good solo trail. I believe we are doing fins and things on Saturday with the class (Barlow Adventures).
We are probably too new and slow for this to be any fun for you.
-B

·
Retired Moderator
100,674 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts