Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some (non Jeep) family and friends are planning a trip to the Utah area the first week of May including stops at Arches, Canyonlands, Goulding, Monument Valley and a few other places. They are planning on staying at:

Moab: OK RV Park for 2 nights
GOulding: Goulding Campground for 1 night

then they will be heading back east towards Lake Powell and on to Zion.

If we wanted to travel out with them and stay longer in the eastern Utah area to spend time specifically for jeeping, where would be the best place to do it? And how much time does it take to hit the main highlights and "not to be missed" items.

If it matters, we will be towing the jeep behind the motorhome. There are 6 of us and we will have a 6th seat in the back but more comfortable trips are ones that we can do multiple times leaving a couple of the kids back at the motorhome and swapping them out for a second run.

THANKS for your expertise and experiences.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone...anyone...Bueller???

·
Registered
552 Posts
Moab, canyon lands, arches all great places to see and to wheel. I've done some traveling around the country and thanks to the Air Force been to a few sand boxes around the world. Utah as a state is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Southern Utah has everything from flat deserts and slick rock hills to gorgeous mountain views. I dont think you can go wrong.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i'll bet you can get some wheeling maps while there - talk to the locals, they should be able to help some too. Other Overland forums have trails and trips mapped out. Buddy of mine went from Tuscon, AZ to Oregon and drove old back roads, visiting ghost towns and such, very little highway/paved roads.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We're trying to figure out where we need to stay. Suggestions as to whether the campgrounds listed would be any good (close to where the trails are) or whether we need to go somewhere else?

·
Registered
162 Posts
There are tons of trails in the Moab area. Some easy ones are Long Canyon, which takes you to Dead Horse Canyon State Park, or continue past the entrance to Long Canyon and take the back road into Dead Horse and ride the rim for awhile. Arches has an easy trail inside the park, toward the end of the paved road, they will have a map at the entrance. Many good campgrounds in Moab with Portal being my favorite. Check out Moab Brewery for eats, good family place. I haven't stayed in Monument Valley in many many moons and we needed an Indian guide to go into the back country. Zion can get packed, very popular but worth seeing. I stay at Zion River Resort in Virgen. Take a day trip to Bryce while there. Definitely worth the trip.

·
Supporting Member
2,839 Posts
Most of the Utah locals stay at slickrock campground. To meet groups of Jeepers. Goto city market in moab at 7-8am you'll find plenty of groups to run with. You can run fins and things and hells revenge in a day (8hrs). I suggest the Charles wells book about Moab trails. It has complete descriptions of trails God cords and pics it also tells you what trails link that you can in a day

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most of the Utah locals stay at slickrock campground. To meet groups of Jeepers. Goto city market in moab at 7-8am you'll find plenty of groups to run with. You can run fins and things and hells revenge in a day (8hrs). I suggest the Charles wells book about Moab trails. It has complete descriptions of trails God cords and pics it also tells you what trails link that you can in a day
THANK YOU. Wells' book just came yesterday thank you Amazon!

The tips on city market and Slickrock CG are great.

We are so excited and it's still a few months away!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Another place that we liked was Goblin Valley, near green river which is about 30 miles past Moab. Not any place to wheel but a fun place to hike around and see all the cool land features.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Anybody know if there much wheeling / trails in Northern Utah, near Logan ? Thx

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks guys. Is three days enough to see the area? 5? 7????

·
Registered
118 Posts
Add a few zeroes to your estimated days needed.

Go in the middle of summer and never worry about where to stay as you will find camping easily when temps are above 100. Just keep lots of water with you. And, join others with Jeeps similar to yours before you head out on trails. Some of the trails make 37s look like infant push-toy wheels. On the same note, some trails can be done with a regular car if you know your car well have have the requisite skill. I did some six trails in a VW Golf on a stop-over while passing through a few years ago.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I was there last summer for a couple days. I'll echo what others have said, you could spend weeks just around Moab, a few days will however be long enough for you decide if it's your kind of wheeling.
The trails were almost deserted in mid August. Even though the daytime temps pushed 100 each day it was a very dry comfortable heat and it cooled down in the evening quickly and was very pleasant overnight, it just depends on what your used to. Where I live it never cools off like that at night so I was in heaven.
I can't wait to go back for at least a week or so this summer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been going to Moab 3 times a year for a long time. Between the ATVs and the Jeep I've run every trail in Wells' book, some multiple times, and it took a long time to get that done. 3 days is enough to get you addicted, 5 days is enough to make you more addicted, and 7 days is enough to make you want to go home, fix your jeep, and then go back. There is so much to see and do. Good luck with your trip. If I were to suggest some trails, I'd go with Fins n Things, Hells Revenge, Top of the World, Long Canyon, Sevenmile Rim, and Gemini Bridges. If you've got a little more aggressive Jeep, Poison Spider Mesa, Behind the Rocks, and Metal Masher are some of my favorites. The book is a great guide, and Moab is a magical place. Don't forego hiking to Delicate Arch while you're there. Jeeping Moab is wild and amazing, but there's other amazing things to see and do also.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've been going to Moab 3 times a year for a long time. Between the ATVs and the Jeep I've run every trail in Wells' book, some multiple times, and it took a long time to get that done. 3 days is enough to get you addicted, 5 days is enough to make you more addicted, and 7 days is enough to make you want to go home, fix your jeep, and then go back. There is so much to see and do. Good luck with your trip. If I were to suggest some trails, I'd go with Fins n Things, Hells Revenge, Top of the World, Long Canyon, Sevenmile Rim, and Gemini Bridges. If you've got a little more aggressive Jeep, Poison Spider Mesa, Behind the Rocks, and Metal Masher are some of my favorites. The book is a great guide, and Moab is a magical place. Don't forego hiking to Delicate Arch while you're there. Jeeping Moab is wild and amazing, but there's other amazing things to see and do also.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! First week (or 2) in May, here we come.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Is there anything in Bryce and Zion worth visiting and doing? Thinking about a spring trip there with the family.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Grand escalante staircase is amazing. Go check out Kodachrome Basin, Cottonwood Canyon road, Hole in the Wall road. Down that road is peak a boo gulch, an awesome slot canyon. Also, Calf Creek Falls is amazing. All of this is off hwy 12 east of Brice Canyon.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Grand escalante staircase is amazing. Go check out Kodachrome Basin, Cottonwood Canyon road, Hole in the Wall road. Down that road is peak a boo gulch, an awesome slot canyon. Also, Calf Creek Falls is amazing. All of this is off hwy 12 east of Brice Canyon.
And Burr Trail & Wolverine Loop Rd.! Was there last May and it's amazing in Southern Utah.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Is there anything in Bryce and Zion worth visiting and doing? Thinking about a spring trip there with the family.
1000% yes, absolutely amazing places. Also Coral Pink Sand Dunes State Park outside of Kanab. Don't know if jeeps are allowed but taking a UTV back there is amazing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts