1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,123 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We were/are planning a trip there and currently it lies “just” outside the 30 day ban, by three days. So I’m in limbo....cancel or don’t, or hope Moab reopens after the 30 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Interesting. As a physician, I don't see what being outdoors literally away from people does to increase your exposure to coronavirus.

I can see how if you're going to bars, restaurants and breweries after could. No reason to shut Moab though.
Well, you know how we Jeepers like to gather in large groups ;)

If you're headed to Moab you are probably going to be stopping for gas, groceries, maybe a restaurant for meals on the way, camping or lodging on the way. By shutting down maybe they feel they are doing their part in reducing the number of reasons people will go out instead of staying home.

If our office goes to our phase 2 where we split time in the office with half the staff working from home and alternating every other day to reduce the number of people we're in contact with, I will probably pack a lunch and snack and head out to fly my drone. Ok, maybe tethering my laptop to my phone and check in once in a while ;)

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Interesting. As a physician, I don't see what being outdoors literally away from people does to increase your exposure to coronavirus.

I can see how if you're going to bars, restaurants and breweries after could. No reason to shut Moab though.
I strongly disagree. The closures are mainly to protect our local population. It seems that huge numbers of people believe that federal, state and local recommendations to limit non-essential travel don't apply to them. Trails and campgrounds in and around Moab were packed this past weekend. We don't as yet have any reported cases of Covid-19 in Moab, but massive crowds of tourists would certainly bring it in. Those people go to gas stations, supermarkets, etc. The manager of our largest grocery store said the other day that the vast majority of customers in the store were not locals. When I tried to shop a few days ago, many of the items on my list were unavailable. The local hospital does not have the capability to deal with a big influx of patients. I know for a fact that some of the visitors in town were from counties in Colorado where outbreaks are occurring and residents have been asked not to travel and risk spreading Covid-19 to other areas. Putting the closures in place became necessary because of the fact that a lot of stupid humans think of nothing but themselves.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,835 Posts
I strongly disagree. Putting the closures in place became necessary because of the fact that a lot of stupid humans think of nothing but themselves.

We are going to our cabin this weekend simply to get away from the retarded in our midst. We live in an island of 300,000 people in West Texas. Our first case was just reported yesterday. We are 5 hours from the next largest city (ALBQ). It was someone who traveled outside of our community, caught it and returned with it. Does it cause me pause? Sure. But I am not changing my behavior due to some "possibility" of X, Y, Z. Wings at my wifes brewery are still on for tonight... so my friends and I will go as per usual.

We cancelled our plans to go to Marfa this weekend since the Terlingua community does not want visitors. You know what, go **** yourselves. We wont visit again. Small communities are no different than large communities. Where do people in Terlingua go for supplies, tools, lumber, food, industrial and ag supplies? Bigger cities. So its reasonable for them to visit us for their needs but not the reverse?

This history lesson will be taught in every civics and sociology class in 10 years as the biggest cluster **** of human behavior in more than 100 years.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Received this email from the campsite where I was going to stay when Uwharrie National Forest in NC opened up on 4-1-20. I haven't heard if the trails will open on schedule or not.

"We're sending you this message because of your Recreation.gov reservation, at ARROWHEAD CAMPGROUND for Fri, Apr 3, 2020 - Sun, Apr 5, 2020. A location closure has been issued for ARROWHEAD CAMPGROUND from Wed, Apr 1, 2020 - Sat, Apr 18, 2020 due to Public Safety Concerns .
Since this location closure overlaps with the dates for your trip, we wanted to provide you with options for how you can proceed:"

·
Registered
183 Posts
When I go out on trails typically there are not "crowds" so part of the problem may be that besides people not following instructions to not congregate, they are all going out to the same location. I.e. Moab. In that case, yes it should be shut.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I strongly disagree. The closures are mainly to protect our local population. It seems that huge numbers of people believe that federal, state and local recommendations to limit non-essential travel don't apply to them. Trails and campgrounds in and around Moab were packed this past weekend. We don't as yet have any reported cases of Covid-19 in Moab, but massive crowds of tourists would certainly bring it in. Those people go to gas stations, supermarkets, etc. The manager of our largest grocery store said the other day that the vast majority of customers in the store were not locals. When I tried to shop a few days ago, many of the items on my list were unavailable. The local hospital does not have the capability to deal with a big influx of patients. I know for a fact that some of the visitors in town were from counties in Colorado where outbreaks are occurring and residents have been asked not to travel and risk spreading Covid-19 to other areas. Putting the closures in place became necessary because of the fact that a lot of stupid humans think of nothing but themselves.
Why don't you just quarantine the old and the sick so the rest of us can keep the economy going?

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Only 26,747 (known) cases in a nation of 331,002,651 = 0.008%. Now they also 6 out of 7 who do get it may not realize they even have it. We can all stay home in our padded rooms and avoid all life's hazards that are there everyday. Or I can make the decision to head out and take a chance. Currently I am not sick, but I am aware that people can be contagious without symptoms. Now I come across another person who also made the decision take a chance and head out. He may or may not be contagious also. But you know what he also made the decision not to stay home same as me. Maybe one or both of will be contagious and infect the other of maybe not. At a 0.008% chance to get it, I am not too concerned.

If people are concerned and don't want to get sick, they can make the decision to stay home. But what right do they have to force me to stay home? It's my life to do with as I choose. Now you may say that this is different because it is a national emergency. Really? In this information age with friends and family across the nation, I don't know of anyone who is sick. I haven't heard of a Facebook friend's cousin's neighbor who is sick. Yes there is a virus, Yes it is contagious, Yes, some of the weak will die - that's how nature works. Hardly a national emergency at this point in my book. Definitely not an emergency on the scale of the economic disaster that is being created by everyone staying home.

Next question is what is the criteria for this disaster to end? A vaccine? Could take 6 months or more to develop and distribute. Everybody will get sick sooner or later, but just not all at once? Well if I'm expected to get it, why not head out and live life? My understanding is that they can't really treat any virus, it just has to run it's course and you just treat symptoms and try not to get infections. So this virus will be around for years to come?

·
Registered
38 Posts
What a bunch of selfish jerks! Read about 'flattening the curve' to understand why it's not all about you.

Take the time to install that upgrade to your jeep you've been thinking about, or read a book or anything to keep from spreading germs that you may not know you have. Most experts estimate the number of people who have it, but haven't been tested, at about 10 times the number actually tested positive.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Why don't you just quarantine the old and the sick so the rest of us can keep the economy going?
Seriously? Are you really that uninformed? Are you one of those who was partying on Florida beaches recently? It's not the old that are spreading this virus. It's not just the old who are dying from it. It's the "rest" of the population. And in case you haven't heard, not all carriers of the virus are symptomatic. Incubation time is 2-14 days. You may feel fine and inadvertently infect someone. Or someone standing next to you may feel fine and inadvertently infect you. Then you go home and inadvertently infect loved ones...if you have any. Or are you just a troll?

You may not know anyone who is sick at this point. People in Italy and elsewhere were in the same position just a few weeks ago. Now look at where they are. The U.S. is one of the newest places to which the virus has spread. Do you understand the word "spread." It's not about where we are now. It's about where we hope to keep from being in the near future. Extraordinary measures, such as closing down Moab, are being taken to prevent us from getting into the same predicament as other countries. Sadly, it's people who just don't give a damn about anyone but themselves who make that task harder if not impossible.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Anyone who uses “my right” to not stay at home is very selfish. This isn’t about “us” as an individual, it’s about us as a group.

If people continue to live in such selfish manor I’m concerned what we see in the following weeks will be nothing short of one of the biggest wake up calls humans have ever seen.

This isn’t that difficult and no time to be selfish.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
2,835 Posts
This is all really presumptive. Really presumptive. Do you not see the massive conflict within the "experts" opinions? 1.5 years before returning to normal. 2 weeks and we are good to go. 1.5 billion will die. <14k have and the worlds largest population says they have it under control. (up for debate for accuracy)

With a kill rate so damn low, there is something else at play here we are not being told about.

Who the **** are any of you to tell anyone else what to do? If you are afraid, stay home. If not, go about your business. Nanny state controlling of what we are and what we do is far from reasonable. Only things in my life that have changed is my 16yo will be studying from home due to classes closing. I can't sit in my favorite restaurants. BFG. I can still go pick it up and I will only be supporting my local restaurants. No chains.

This conjecture and speculation has become nothing more than fear mongering and control. When there are stacks of bodies, I might reconsider my position.

I'll say it one more time - Nanny State.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
You may not know anyone who is sick at this point. People in Italy and elsewhere were in the same position just a few weeks ago. Now look at where they are. The U.S. is one of the newest places to which the virus has spread. Do you understand the word "spread." It's not about where we are now. It's about where we hope to keep from being in the near future. Extraordinary measures, such as closing down Moab, are being taken to prevent us from getting into the same predicament as other countries. Sadly, it's people who just don't give a damn about anyone but themselves who make that task harder if not impossible.
Anyone who uses “my right” to not stay at home is very selfish. This isn’t about “us” as an individual, it’s about us as a group.

If people continue to live in such selfish manor I’m concerned what we see in the following weeks will be nothing short of one of the biggest wake up calls humans have ever seen.

This isn’t that difficult and no time to be selfish.
Ok, I'll stay home. To what end? For how long? I work in an "essential" food factory of about 1,000 people so I'll be out and about anyway. If one person brings the virus to work, it easily could reach all 1,000 with in one days shift rotation with how close we must be to interact with each other.

So we declare martial law and the military is called in to enforce it. What would stop them from spreading the disease?

I realize that this is probably just starting and will get worse, but compared to past pandemics, it hardly seems warrant the response it is getting. Or as others have mentioned - there is more to this than we are being told. The response seems overkill to me.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
We can certainly flatten the curve to allow for manufacturers to increase production of testing equipment, disinfectant cleaners, toilet paper???, and reduce the number of people taking up hospital beds. But I am still living life, just not as usual.

I used to be able to work out after work each day. Now the fitness centers are closed. This alone either forces us outside for exercise or forces us to stay inside and become less healthy with every passing day.

I'd much rather live to the end than die a slow death doing nothing.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts