Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys' I'm heading to Moab, Arches, Canyonlands the week after Easter. It's a family trip mostly focused on hiking in Arches and taking in the sights at Canyonlands and Dead Horse Point, etc. We'll be there for only 3 nights before heading to Monument Valley so kinda limited on time to wheel. Definitely going to go up Potash/Shafer trail to Canyonlands. I have a 2014 JKUR stock, no lift and 32" BFG MT.

I'd really like to do fins n things. From what I've been able to research, my jeep should be fine. I have the Charlie Wells book too. Also, we are traveling solo so no partner vehicles. I'm sure there will be others out there but obviously it's best to not go alone.

What do you guys think? Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
970 Posts
Fins and things is a fun trail and your stock JKUR should be great on it! The trail is well marked and there is nothing hard on the trail as long as you take your time to look at the trail ahead.

There seems to always be others around especially before and after EJS.

·
GO STEELERS !
2,165 Posts
I was at monument valley last year....You will love it but if you stay at the hotel near the monuments remember its DRY..no alcohol....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks for the responses. Really looking forward to getting out there! We are staying in our motorhome at Gouldings - booze will be flowing haha.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My son and I were there last year for the Safari - it was a blast and everyone is super nice. If you're taking pictures, the best light is sunrise for the arches. X2 for Fins and Things and a couple of other trails. Don't forget to sign up with Jeep for your Stinkin Badges of Honor too (Jeep website). Enjoy and post some pictures after your trip.

See ya on the trail!!!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Fins and Things is a good trail to run, ran with a stock Jeep with no issues. Did hit the tow hook on the rear once or twice but nothing bad.
Yep there are some very steep sections but that is about it. Also recommend the delicate arch hike towards the end of the day

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
I just got back from my yearly Moab excursion and we always take the new guys on fins and things to get their confidence up. Last year we had a two guys who had never been jeeping ever and one had a box stock Sahara with heavy bumpers and tow bar on his Sahara and he kept dragging but it looked like a low rider with his bumpers. He did not enjoy it. The other guy had a new rubicon and had no issues with clearance. This year the guy who had the Sahara had 35's and a 3" mopar lift on his new rubicon and he rocked golden spike with no issues. If at all possible put a small 2" spacer lift like aev or something just for the extra clearance so you can have more fun on some of the steep up and downs as you get such good traction you will want to go up and down them.

I would also recommend hells revenge as it is just as easy but I think cooler. Either of those trails can be done solo as you will see plenty of people on them, many who will let you jump in and watch their lines and spot you if needed. We ran into to a brand new Dodge Ram 250 on hells revenge and it looked stock. He appeared to be traveling with a couple of motorcycles there is a tougher spot at the end but he appeared to be doing ok.

We also saw a new black Dodge Ram that looked like it was slightly lifted on poison spider that was at the waterfall it looked new and had a fair amount of body damage. It had Texas plates.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome, thanks for the info guys. I figured with the lockers and t case the Rubicon has that I'll have great hold going up and down. My only concern was scraping on the steep ones since I have no lift (yet, haha) but that doesn't sound like an issue there. I've thought about Hells Revenge too but mixed reviews - some say as you do and others say it's balls out. Are there bypasses for the sketchy stuff so what's left is more moderate? Can't wait to get out there!

·
Super Moderator
23,754 Posts
The tough things ie escalator and hells gate are optional and do not have to be done same for tip over challenge. we opted to not do hells gate or the escalator because nobody in our group had done them and I was not sure of the correct line. Tip over challenge was a piece of cake and I could tell what line needed to be taken but the other two have some steep off camber stuff and without watching someone go up first to make sure the line I was thinking of was correct I passed on them. The car wash is fun as well. I really would say if you do fins and things and enjoy it you will have no issues with hells revenge I have done it 2x including last year in the snow and I don't think it is any more challenging then fins and things mostly because slick rock is so forgiving.

Reactions: dmulk

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cool, thanks for the tips!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts