Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
going to moab the first week in october and was just wondering if that is a good time to be there? i had a chance to go for easter, but i was told that it is crazy there during the jeep safari week and the trails are packed. any info on weather and trail conditions in october would be appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I've been there in October & had a wonderful time. There are certain trails I will not do if it's raining or snowy. Just make sure you adjust your agenda according to the avaliable traction. I ran Gemini, Rainbow Terrace & Long canyon in the rain, it was great.

Easter is crazy down there, but I love seeing all of the Jeeps. Takes longer to grab a bite & hard to get a hotel, but it's like Sturgis, busy, crazy fun!
You'll enjoy October down there!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So is it cold at night and warm during the day? I would think being just the first week in october that it wouldnt be too crazy weather wise.I dont have too much experience with desert weather, mostly mountain stuff around here.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
First week in Oct can still be HOT, not just warm. We were there first week of Oct '10 and it was 110* in Arches when we were hiking. The year prior to that, it was also mid to high 90s in the last week of Sept. These readings are accoriding to my backpack watch with a thermometer on it. While likely not 100% Weather Channel accurate, it was still F'in hot.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
Moab is similar to my home in elevation. It can still be warm into the fall and very chilly at night. I went during the summer... had a blast. Be safe and have fun!

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
First week in Oct can still be HOT, not just warm. We were there first week of Oct '10 and it was 110* in Arches when we were hiking. The year prior to that, it was also mid to high 90s in the last week of Sept. These readings are accoriding to my backpack watch with a thermometer on it. While likely not 100% Weather Channel accurate, it was still F'in hot.
I did a 24 hour race there ~Oct 15 one year ... it hit ~80 during the day, but hit 12 that night. I think the take-away is 'be prepared for anything'.:thumb:

T

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, 12 degrees at night! I guess you wouldnt want to be in a tent or broke down out on the trail if it got that cold out! Luckily we will be flat towing my wifes unlimited down there behind the motorhome so we will have a warm/cool place to sleep and a reliable trail rig.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts